Color Fading: 3 Tips To Make Haircolor Last Longer
Color Fading? How To Extend Tones + Create A Blonde Maintenance Schedule
Cool blondes, coppers and pastels are at the top of your client’s list of color requests—but we know that toners only last so long, so what’s the best way to deal with color fading? We’re sharing smart strategies to extend hair color, pro tips to embrace the fade and a full maintenance schedule for every type of blonding service below.
1. Add-On Pastel Service For Platinum Clients
Your platinum client wants to play with pastels, but are worried that their color will fade basically overnight. Summer Labayen (@manely.summer) offers a fast add-on service with the Moroccanoil® Lilac Color Depositing Mask for a purple hue that looks just as good new as it does every step of the fading process.
Here Are A Few Pro Tips
- After shampooing, apply the mask to towel-dried hair and allow it process for 5 to 7 minutes. Skip the conditioner!
- Mix the Color Depositing Mask with a regular mask to dilute the intensity of the color.
- For a shadow root effect, apply the mask directly to the base, and mix a diluted mask for the mids to ends.
Summer applied the Color Depositing Lilac Mask to the base. For the mids to ends, she mixed the Lilac Mask + Moroccanoil® Weightless Hydrating Mask (1:1).
Each photo is right after the client shampoos her hair, fading perfectly from electric pastel purple to lilac blonde.
2. How To Make Reds, Pinks + Coppers Last Longer
Just like the blondes in our chair, our warmer-toned red and copper clients don’t want to see their color fade into dullness. Try offering a fast refresh service with the Copper Color Depositing Mask.
Check out the before and after! Summer applied the mask all over, color melting the mids to ends for a glossy rich copper.
Watch how Kara Williams (@haircolorkilla) adds an extra pop of vibrancy to her red hot pink formulas with the Hibiscus Color Depositing Mask in the quickie tutorial below.
View this post on Instagram
3. Blondes: Create A Color Maintenance Schedule
There’s a blonde for every client, which means that every blonde will also fade differently and require custom color maintenance schedules. We love this genius breakdown from Chrissy Danielle (@hairbychrissydanielle), including tips for when to schedule their next appointment and how clients can make those bright tones last.
Lightened Hair? These Are Chrissy’s Go-To Rules
For any lightened color—from platinum to brunette—Chrissy always recommends Moroccanoil® Blonde Perfecting Purple Shampoo to maintain tone and depth between salon visits. Clients should also add a heat protectant to their at-home regimen. Think about toast in a toaster! Heat from irons will dull out and tint lightened hair.
When to schedule their next appointment:
4 to 6 Weeks
- Platinum blondes and heavy highlight clients
- Requires more frequent visits to maintain consistency, tone and avoid unwanted banding
- Cool tones fade the fastest, so at-home toning shampoo is a must
6 to 8 Weeks
- Dimensional blondes, brondes, teasylights, color melts and rooted looks
- The grow-out is less severe and can last up to two months
10 to 12 Weeks
- Most balayage looks and some dimensional colors
- These looks offer the softest grow-outs and are typically warmer in tones, so fading and outgrowth are less noticeable for longer periods of time
5 Quickie Hair Cheats We Stole From Instagram
Fast, High-Impact Blonde In Just 20 FOILS
4 Lowlight Placement Hacks To Create Dimension
TIMESAVING TIPS: Try This Custom Foil Application
Selena Gomez’s Twisted Updo
High Contrast Beige Bronde
Quick Copper Refresh
Bridal Styling: 4 Tips To Help Save Time
The BTC Show 2022: 10 Things We Saw
Breaking News: 2022 #ONESHOT Hair Awards Winners
5 Formulas You Need For Every Client
Our Editor’s Must-Try Hair Products This Summer
4 Tips For Defined Curls To Try Right Now
Meet Your New Subscription Obsession: The BTC Beauty Box
3 Common Mistakes to Avoid When Pre-Toning
The Biggest Hair Color Trends Of Spring & Summer 2022
Brunette Balayage WITHOUT Brass! 3 Tips You Must Try
2022 Met Gala: Your Insider Beauty Recap
Rosie Perez’s Rich Brunette & Romantic Waves
The Best Hair & Beauty Looks From The Oscars 2022
Monthly Launch List: March 2022
Golden Honey Bronde Teasylight Transformation
Color Calypso Demi-Permanent Gloss