How-To: Edgy Mermaid Color Melt
This is what happens when mermaid hair meets punk rock—a multidimensional color melt with a deep shadow root that transitions from purple to violet to coral to an icy pink. The creative color was inspired by stylist Natalie Jean’s (@msnataliejean) edgy client, who had been wearing extensions on her natural, Level 6 hair for some time, but finally decided she wanted a shorter, more colorful look. And Natalie (a stylist at parlour e.lev.en in Huntington Beach, Calif.) delivered! Here’s her color formula and how-to.
Formula A: Goldwell Topchic 1 oz. 6RV + 1 oz. 6VV + 10-volume developer
Formula C (toner): Redken Shades EQ 9V
Formula D: PRAVANA ChromaSilk VIVIDS Violet
Formula E: PRAVANA ChromaSilk VIVIDS Pink
1. Apply Formula A to the roots as a base, blending to create a shadow root. Process for about 35 minutes.
2. Comb through each section to break the line at the base, then tease and balayage 1-inch sections to blend the remaining dark pieces, using your fingers to smudge the lines and achieve a softer, more blended feel. Process for 25 minutes under the dryer.
Note: At this point, her midshaft was only lifted to a Level 8, and the ends were a Level 10.
3. Shampoo and rinse in cold water to make sure the roots and bleached blonde don’t bleed into each other. Towel-dry the hair to remove as much moisture as possible, then apply Formula C to give the ends a more icy hue. Process for about one minute. Rinse and apply Olaplex No.3 for 10 minutes.
4. Rinse thoroughly and towel-dry. Apply Formula D right below the shadow root, at the top of the midshaft, using your finger to smudge it down through the midshaft.
Note: Natalie left the bottom of her client’s midshaft, which had lifted to a peachy coral color untouched.
5. Apply Formula E to the ends. (At this point, Natalie also applied Violet and Pink to random sections, coloring them through the ends.) Process for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water and condition just the ends.
Natalie applied heat protector, texture spray and shine spray, then blow-dried and styled using a 1-inch curling iron, alternating directions to give her client a “beachy mermaid” vibe.
Fashion color: $200
Total price: $265