5 Proactive Things To Do Right Now While In Quarantine
Coronavirus: 5 Things Every Hairdresser Can Do Right Now
From student to salon owner, every level of the hair industry has been impacted by the coronavirus. And we know being stuck at home can leave you feeling at a loss about what to do with your time, so we’ve put together a list of five proactive things you can do right now while in quarantine. Scroll down to check ‘em out!
1. Discuss rent payment options with your salon owner or landlord.
One of the biggest questions salon owners and booth renters have right now is, “Do I have to pay rent still if my salon is mandated to close?” We recently posted this topic on our BTC Forum and while there is no definitive answer, the good news is that there are options!
- Salon Owners: Calculate your bare minimum expenses, communicate with your team so they know you are all in this together and contact your landlord about a payment plan. If you own the building your salon is in, contact your financial lender to see what resources are available if you cannot make your mortgage payments.
- Stylists: Talk to your salon owners about available options for paying rent, then check your contract to see what implications there are.
2. Know what financial resources are available.
Check federal and state resources to see what assistance is available for small business owners and individuals. Some important things you should know now:
- Check with utility companies and lenders to see if they are offering extended deadlines or other programs to adjust payment plans.
- The United States Treasury has extended the federal April 15 tax deadline to July 15, 2020.
- The “Families First Coronavirus Relief Act” includes paid family sick leave, free COVID-19 testing and enhanced unemployment insurance.
3. Check out what your manufacturer partners are doing.
The hairdressing community isn’t just salons and hairdressers—your favorite brands are here to support you, too!
4. Plan ahead, if you can.
We know, it’s hard to think too far into the future these days but just remember: We will get through this! So start preparing now for when you’re back behind the chair with these tips:
- Reach out to your clients and check in on them! Many of your clients will be financially affected by this pandemic, too. Start thinking about service offerings you can have for clients who won’t be able to pay for their typical service, but still want to come in.
- Have consultations with clients via Skype or FaceTime, then book appointments and trials for when you’re able to work again.
- DON’T FORGET: Weddings are being postponed, so even though bridal season will be later this year it will most certainly be a busy time!
5. Stay inspired and connected.
It can be hard to stay positive these days, so here are some proactive things you can do right now to keep your spirits up:
- Create a list and reach out to the artists you’ve always wanted to collab with.
- Revamp your website or Instagram page.
- Get a BTC-U subscription for 100+ hours of education, on-demand, for less than $1/day! Click here to get a subscription.
- Take time to learn something new. Maybe photography? It IS #ONESHOT season! (And we’ve extended the deadline to May 4!)
- Join the BTC Forum to talk to other hairdressers about what they are experiencing. Click here to get started!
- Film styling tutorials for clients and for IGTV!