3 Foil Problems & How To Prevent Them
How To Build Dimension With Slices, Weaves + Babylights
Tired of doing a TON of foil work and getting washed-out babylight results? The secret to building blonde dimension is knowing when and how to correctly use slices, weaves and backcombing. That’s why Ulta Beauty Design Team Member Beto Sanchez (@betoloveshair) is sharing his creative blonding placement in the video above!
Keep scrollin’ for three problems that could ruin your foiled blondes and how to prevent them by understanding a few must-know basics.
Problem #1: Tangled Teasylights
Here’s how to achieve a soft, blended transition area every time—just follow this simple backcomb breakdown:
- The section should be completely detangled to avoid knots.
- Start each tease at the mids and only do 1 to 2 gentle, even pushes.
- The lower you start the tease, the more hair you will grab—this determines how dramatic the brightness will be.
- Use the tail comb to secure the hair at the root as you paint each section. Beto prefers to work with a balayage board for control!
Pro Tip: If the comb keeps slipping at the roots, use a clip to secure it.
When Do You Remove The Comb?
Start the lightener application at the mids. Use a flicking motion with your wrist and color brush until you achieve enough saturation. Then, remove the comb and apply all the way through the ends.
Problem #2: Splotchy Results + Slippage
These are the easiest ways to prevent unwanted spots and foil slippage in your lightener application:
- Prevent Splotchiness: Properly saturate—all of the hair should be covered in lightener. Use the color brush bristles to open up the hair and push the product through.
- Foil Folding Trick: Because you’ve created a blend with backcombing at the root, you want to avoid transferring the lightener from the ends. Start the first fold from the ends to mids, then a second fold up at the root area.
- Prevent Slippage: Use the tail comb to secure the foil by folding on each side. If you’re applying root color in between, try doing additional top corner folders on both sides to lock in the foil.
Problem #3: Washed-Out Babylights
Here’s how Beto creates more POP with intentional placement: He takes horizontal teasylight slices at the bottom, works up to diagonal medium weaves and babylights at the top to create a veil of soft dimension. This builds a blonde gradient.
Know The Difference Between Medium Weaves + Babylights
- Medium Weaves: Start the weave further down the section at the mids. This creates more dimension because the highlights are more visible. At natural fall, a medium weave on a diagonal will create a bolder effect.
- Babylights: Start the weave closer to the root, this allows you to be more precise. At natural fall, a babylight on a diagonal will create more natural, softer dimension.
Slide Through The Dramatic Before & After
Tap The Beaker For Color Formulas!
- Formula A (foils)
Wella Professionals Blondor Multi-Blonde Lightening Powder + 40-volume Welloxon Developer (1:2)
- Formula B (balayage on ends)
Wella Blondor Freelights White Lightening Powder + 20-volume Freelights Developer
- Formula C (roots)
Wella Koleston Perfect ME+ 5/43 + 99/44 + 6-volume Color Pastel Developer
- Formula D (gloss)
Wella Illumina Color Opal-Essence Copper Peach
Pekela Riley & Michelle O’Connor On Making The List: 100 Most Influential Black Voices In Beauty
Ulta Beauty Highlights The 100 Most Influential Black Voices
Fast + Efficient Foiling Techniques To Start Using ASAP!
Ulta Beauty at #thebtcshow 2021
Connection Center at #thebtcshow 2021
4 Blow Dry Tips For Textured Hair To Use Every Time
10 Ways To Service Your Textured Clients
Michelle O’Connor Joins Ulta Beauty Pro Team
Watch: 3 Styling Tricks To Enhance Volume
3 Tips For Refreshing Red Hair Color
Tracee Ellis Ross Joins Ulta Beauty As Diversity Advisor
7 Makeup Trends You’re About To See EVERYWHERE In 2021
The Top 10 Foil Tips We Learned In 2020
Holiday Hair: Twisted Topknot
Timesaving Haircolor Technique: Organic Twists
#mydentity @guy_tang Launches Styling Products At Ulta Beauty
Watch: Express Chunky Highlights Technique
4 Color Placement Tips To Work Smarter, Not Harder
Blonding & Styling: 5 Tips & Tricks From The Ulta Beauty Pro Team
5 Foil & Paint Tips For Faster Blonding
Watch: K-Pop Two-Block Haircut Tutorial
WATCH: Ulta Beauty’s Conversation on Black Representation
Ulta Salons Are Reopening—Here’s What You Need To Know