3 Foil Problems & How To Prevent Them
How To Build Dimension With Slices, Weaves + Babylights
Tired of doing a TON of foil work and getting washed-out babylight results? The secret to building blonde dimension is knowing when and how to correctly use slices, weaves and backcombing. That’s why Ulta Beauty Design Team Member Beto Sanchez (@betoloveshair) is sharing his creative blonding placement in the video above!
Keep scrollin’ for three problems that could ruin your foiled blondes and how to prevent them by understanding a few must-know basics.
Up to 70% In Commission, Support & Training: Click Here To Join The Ulta Beauty Team!
Problem #1: Tangled Teasylights
Here’s how to achieve a soft, blended transition area every time—just follow this simple backcomb breakdown:
- The section should be completely detangled to avoid knots.
- Start each tease at the mids and only do 1 to 2 gentle, even pushes.
- The lower you start the tease, the more hair you will grab—this determines how dramatic the brightness will be.
- Use the tail comb to secure the hair at the root as you paint each section. Beto prefers to work with a balayage board for control!
Pro Tip: If the comb keeps slipping at the roots, use a clip to secure it.
When Do You Remove The Comb?
Start the lightener application at the mids. Use a flicking motion with your wrist and color brush until you achieve enough saturation. Then, remove the comb and apply all the way through the ends.
Click Here To Watch The 45-Minute Video Tutorial For More Tips & Tricks!
Problem #2: Splotchy Results + Slippage
These are the easiest ways to prevent unwanted spots and foil slippage in your lightener application:
- Prevent Splotchiness: Properly saturate—all of the hair should be covered in lightener. Use the color brush bristles to open up the hair and push the product through.
- Foil Folding Trick: Because you’ve created a blend with backcombing at the root, you want to avoid transferring the lightener from the ends. Start the first fold from the ends to mids, then a second fold up at the root area.
- Prevent Slippage: Use the tail comb to secure the foil by folding on each side. If you’re applying root color in between, try doing additional top corner folders on both sides to lock in the foil.
Problem #3: Washed-Out Babylights
Here’s how Beto creates more POP with intentional placement: He takes horizontal teasylight slices at the bottom, works up to diagonal medium weaves and babylights at the top to create a veil of soft dimension. This builds a blonde gradient.
Know The Difference Between Medium Weaves + Babylights
- Medium Weaves: Start the weave further down the section at the mids. This creates more dimension because the highlights are more visible. At natural fall, a medium weave on a diagonal will create a bolder effect.
- Babylights: Start the weave closer to the root, this allows you to be more precise. At natural fall, a babylight on a diagonal will create more natural, softer dimension.
BONUS! Watch The Video & Skip To 37:10 For Waving & Finishing Tips—CLICK HERE.
Slide Through The Dramatic Before & After
Tap The Beaker For Color Formulas!
- Formula A (foils)
Wella Professionals Blondor Multi-Blonde Lightening Powder + 40-volume Welloxon Developer (1:2)
- Formula B (balayage on ends)
Wella Blondor Freelights White Lightening Powder + 20-volume Freelights Developer
- Formula C (roots)
Wella Koleston Perfect ME+ 5/43 + 99/44 + 6-volume Color Pastel Developer
- Formula D (gloss)
Wella Illumina Color Opal-Essence Copper Peach
6 Award-Winning Hairstylists Join the Ulta Beauty Design Team
2023 Hairstyling: 11 Trends You Need To Know
2023’s Biggest Haircut Trends
5 Steps You Must Take To Build A Strong Salon Culture
6 Tips For Faux Blowouts & Effortless Waves
The Biggest Hair Color Trends Of Winter 2023
15 Styling Trends That Will Be Everywhere in Winter 2023
5 Tips To Upgrade Your Cutting, Blonding & Styling Techniques
Dear Stylists, 4 Smart Ways To Protect Your Income
25-Minute Butterfly Layers Cut & Style
Client Retention Checklist: 7 Ways To Keep Them Coming Back
Fine Hair: Do You Know How To Handle It?
Nick Stenson Beauty Launches Exclusive Line At Ulta Beauty
Are You Skipping These Steps When Curly Cutting?
7 Steps to Become A 6-Figure Hairstylist
The BTC Show 2022: 10 Things We Saw
Breaking News: 2022 #ONESHOT Hair Awards Winners
Chop, Chop: Meet The 5-Step Textured Curly Cut
How To Cut & Style Long Curtain Bangs
Texture Guide: Haircuts Paired With Wash & Go Styling
How To Avoid Muddy Tones When Mixing Creative Color
Ulta Beauty Announces Anna Manukyan As Senior Director, Education & Creative
Pekela Riley & Michelle O’Connor On Making The List: 100 Most Influential Black Voices In Beauty