Your Guide to Holiday Hair: 4 NYE-Ready Styles
By Katie Harrington
It’s the biggest dilemma of the year…what to wear to all those holiday festivities! Work parties, winter weddings, New Year’s Eve—so many occasions, so many outfits. Throw in a great hairstyle on top of everything else? The pressure is on. That’s where you come in. You know just what to pair with her sequined bandage dress for New Year’s Eve; what will work best with the black tuxedo jumpsuit she’ll be rocking at her holiday office party; and the best choice for the lace, off-the-shoulder midi she picked for her bestie’s December nuptials. Consider this your personal inspiration board to help her celebrate NYE in style.
Knot Just a Twist
Annette Waligora | @annette_updo_artist
1. Create an exaggerated side part.
2. Mist with Kenra Professional Platinum Matte Finishing HiDef Hairspray, then curl the hair in large sections.
3. Mist with Kenra Platinum Dry Texture Spray 6, and rake through the curls.
4. Create a horseshoe section in the crown and backcomb. Smooth the surface with a Mason Pearson brush.
5. Create a ponytail in the smoothed crown section and secure with an elastic. Pinch and pull for volume.
6. Twist the ponytail into a knot, and secure with crisscrossed pins.
7. Create diagonal sections on both sides of the first knot, omitting two sections in the front. Backcomb and create a knot on both sides.
8. Divide the rest of the hair into two sections, backcomb and create two more knots.
9. Backcomb and smooth out the two front sections. Omitting some front pieces, twist the rest of the hair away from the face and pin it in back. Repeat on the other side.
10. Mist with Kenra Matte Finishing HiDef Hairspray, then pinch and pull some pieces in the back.
Watch Annette create the look below!
Knotty & Nice
Candice Tesinsky | @candicemarie702
1. Prep hair with Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray.
2. Divide the hair down the middle. Then create five horizontal partings in each vertical section, and secure with elastics.
3. Divide each section in two and then twist them together, loosening the twist as you work by gently pulling on the hair.
4. Wrap each section loosely around the elastic, pinning and separating the hair as you work.
5. Set with Oribe Superfine Strong Hairspray.
(Poppin’ the) Bubbly Braid
Joël Benjamin | @hairbyjoel
1. Create a small, semicircle section at the front hairline, and secure with a small elastic to create a ponytail.
2. Create another section at the nape, adding the previous ponytail to the new section, and secure with a small elastic as close to the scalp as possible. This locks the first “bubble” into place. Gently tug around the middle of the first ponytail to achieve the desired bubble size.
3. Working toward the nape, continue in this manner, adding the previous ponytails to each new section and securing each section with a small elastic as close to the scalp as possible.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you run out of hair, then tie small elastics along the ponytail, pancaking the bubbles to the desired width.
NOTE: This version was created with large sections, but each bubble can be smaller if smaller elastics are used.
Megan Hollinger | @hollibeauty_
1. Section the hair above each eye and straight back to the nape. Clip away the middle Mohawk section.
2. Create a tight, Dutch braid to the nape on each side, and secure with mini elastics.
3. Sprinkle volumizing powder into the Mohawk section, lightly tease the hair and smooth the surface.
4. Create a French braid to the nape, pinching and pulling select strands to thicken and shape the braid.
5. Gather all three braid tails at the nape, shape into a messy bun and pin. Finish with hairspray.
5 Easy Styling Tips For Quick Updos
8 Bridal Styles You Can Learn Right Now
7 Pricing Tips To Take Into 2021
Bridal Stylists: 5 Tips For Working During A Pandemic
10 Cutting & Styling Tutorials You Need To Watch Before 2020
3 Easy Updo Techniques and Styling Tips
Watch: Voluminous Hollywood Waves How-To
The Ultimate Bridal Bible: Everything You Need For Servicing Brides
Quick Styling Tips & Product Picks Perfect for Summer Brides
Bridal Business: Use This Timeline For Better Scheduling
Spring Styles Brides Will Beg For
Quick Upstyling Tricks To Start Using ASAP
BTC’s “On Tour” Show Is Coming To Chicago—Here’s The Artist Lineup!
Looped Braid Ponytail
Watch: Infinity Braid & Upstyling Tutorial
Holiday Twisted Pony
Holiday Styling: Knotted Ponytail + Twisted Chignon
3 Ways To Use A Hair Serum You Never Thought Of
Watch: 2 Upstyling Video Quickies For Fall Brides
Halo Braid: Tips + Technique
6 Tips For Longer-Lasting Styles From Insta-Famous Hairstylists
Co-Lab Styling at #thebtcshow 2018
Boho Braids + Waves By @annette_updo_artist
Video How-To: Knotted Chignon + Crisscross Infinity Braid Ponytail