Technique of the Week: Banana Bushel Braid
How-To: Banana Bushel Braid
Have you seen this trendsetting pony by braid queen and BTC Team Member Shayla Robertson (@samirasjewelry)? We caught the BTC #ONESHOT Festival Shot of the Year 2018 Winner’s technique for creating this voluminous banana bushel braid on her Insta and we had to get the deets. Looking to recreate this statement plait? Keep scrolling for the how-to!
Watch Shayla’s Technique Below!
View this post on Instagram
Here is the quick 🍌Bushel braid tutorial 🎥. I’ll post longer version on my IGtv later. @samirasjewelry #samirasjewelry Inspo @learndoteach . . . . #hairinspo #hairvideos #braids #videotutorials #southfloridahairstylist #hudabeauty #behindthechair #modernsalon #maneaddicts #beautylaunchpad #americansalon #masterofbraids #beyondtheponytail #hotonbeauty @hairvideodiary @hair.videos @peinadosvideos @hair @hudabeauty @cosmoprofbeauty #licensedtocreate #ittakesapro #braidstyles #hairtrends2019
Get The Look
1. Start by prepping the hair with Sexy Hair’s Vibrant Sexy Hair Rose Elixir spray. Shayla likes to use this product to tame frizz and give the braid a cleaner look.
Pro Tip: When dealing with fine hair, lightly crimp before hand for added volume and texture. This braid can also be done on slightly damp hair.
2. Place hair into two vertical ponytails. Grab a very small piece from the top pony, then grab the same amount from the bottom pony and criss cross them upside down. The top section should be on the bottom and the bottom section should be on top.
3. Continue this step until you get to the other end of the ponytail. If the hair is dense, you could criss cross the hair up to 15 sections.
Note: Make sure each section is even so the finished look is clean and detailed.
4. Once you finish the two ponytails, place an elastic along the bottom and continue with a new braided section. Keep going until you reach the end of the ponytail.
5. Once the braid is done, apply Sexy Hair’s Big Sexy Hair Spray & Play Voluminous Hairspray and even out the sections.
6. For an edgy finish, Shayla recommends keeping the braid flat. If you want a softer, fuller look like in the photo, spray the braid with Sexy Hair’s Big Sexy Hair Powder Play Lite Soft Volumizing & Texturizing Powder and pull the petals outwards for volume.
Need A Break? Watch Our Top 10 Quickie Videos!
Your Complete Guide To Braids & Beauty For Summer Music Festivals
The Ultimate Bridal Bible: Everything You Need For Servicing Brides
Bridal Booking: Tips for Scheduling and Charging Brides
3 Tips For Styling With Clip-In Extensions
Watch: 2 Braided Downstyle Tutorials With Extensions
Double Knot Hoop Braid
7 Articles That’ll Take Your Styling Game To The Next Level In 2019
Styling: A Guide For Choosing The Right Tools
Styling: 3 Ways To Prep Updos
4 Solutions To Common Braiding Issues
Video How-To: Boho Crown Braid