How-To: 2 Punk Rock-Inspired Festival Looks
Music festival season is finally upon us. But she’s more into Sum 41 than Mumford and Sons, so she wouldn’t be caught dead in a crown braid. Here are edgier options for headbanging in style.
Dutch Fishtail Rows
By Jordan Pomeroy; @jbraidsandbows
1. Start by prepping the hair with Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray. With a diagonal parting, create a panel that starts just above the left temple and extends to just behind the right ear.
2. In this panel, create a pancaked Dutch fishtail braid. Pull the sides of the braid out as you go for a fuller shape. Work to the bottom of the strand and secure with an elastic.
3. Create a second, diagonal panel perpendicular to the first parting, beginning about 2 inches from the forehead and extending to behind the left ear.
4. Repeat step 2.
5. The third panel runs parallel to the first panel and perpendicular to the second panel. Part the third panel diagonally, beginning about 2 inches from the second panel and extending to the base of the neck.
6. Repeat step 2 in the third panel.
7. The fourth panel runs parallel to the second panel and perpendicular to the third panel. Part the fourth panel diagonally, beginning about 2 inches from the third panel and extending to the base of the neck.
8. Repeat step 2 with the fourth panel.
9. In the remaining panel, create a final Dutch fishtail braid and spray hair with Moroccanoil® Luminous Hairspray Strong to complete the look.
Etched Undercut Meets Top Knot Twist
By Theodora Raptis; @theodoraraptis
1. Create a diamond-shaped section at the nape with the top point ending at the occipital bone.
2. Using a #2 guard, clipper-cut the section carefully.
3. Next, etch the desired symmetrical design. Keep the lines narrow at first, then go back and detail the width once the outline is established.
4. Clean up the neckline with the trimmer.
5. Create a large triangular section from the top of each ear, forming a point just below the crown.
6. Gather the top section of hair and tightly secure it out of the way.
7. Divide the remaining hair in half, following the existing part line as a guide. Two parallel sections form a triangle, with the top section holding more than half. Clip the top section out of the way.
8. With the remaining hair, tightly twist each side into a row starting from the nape. Once finished, wrap each piece around the top knot and pin.
9. Begin forming the top knot by pinning pieces around the base to hide the twists. Gently pull and fluff the knot to create a soft, textured bun.
10. Separate the remaining hair into two sections, holding them vertically. Tie both pieces into a loose knot and wrap the remaining ends around the bun.
11. Tuck strays out of sight with bobby pins; finish with Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Extra Strong to complete the look.
Your Complete Guide To Braids & Beauty For Summer Music Festivals
Game Of Thrones: 5 Daenerys Targaryen-Inspired Braiding Quickies
3 Perfectly Unpolished Updos For Your Cool-Girl Clients
WATCH: Bubble Braid Video Quickie
Video How-To: Classic Waves With A Modern Twist
VIDEO QUICKIE: Edgy Braided Festival Style