Gray Hair: To Cover Or Embrace? Here Are 4 Tricks!
Gray Coverage & Color Services: 4 Things To Definitely Do
Your root retouch regular just walked in—what’s your move? If the answer is *the same old gray coverage routine*, THINK AGAIN. ✨ Gray clients are some of the most loyal out there, but with a major influx of women embracing their naturally silver strands, it’s time to consider all options. To embrace or cover? Either way, we’ve got answers.
Keep scrolling for genius tricks that will help you work smarter, not harder. Whether that means picking up the pace with coverage OR transitioning clients to a gray blend, read it all below!
#1: Camera Hack: Color Match The Natural Level
We know that the first step of formulating gray coverage is determining the client’s natural level. Are you struggling to color match? Here’s a trick from Taylor Dellatorre (@taylordidmyhair). Turn your phone’s camera settings to black and white and match that way. Genius!
#2: Save Time Covering Stubborn Grays
The easiest way to book more clients is simple: Faster appointment times! Here are a few smart, simple ways Jessica Scott Santo (@jessicascotthair) shaves time off of gray coverage techniques.
- Root Shadows: Doing a lightening service with gray coverage? Cover grays fast during the root shadow process. Remove excess moisture first, then apply the formula to damp hair.
- 10-Minute Trick: Jessica formulates with Joico LUMI10 10 Minute Permanent Color for 100 percent coverage in only 10 minutes.
- Stubborn Grays: Always start where you see the most grays for even coverage.
- Level Up: If you’re used to a color line that formulates lighter and more translucent, try leveling up!
Watch & Learn Jessica’s Cheats Below!
View this post on Instagram
#3: Cover Grays: Root Melt Or Root Smudge?
Before you determine the best way to cover grays, consider the client’s desired end result and lifestyle. This will help you set your game plan. Here’s Samantha Harman’s (@samanthasbeautyconfessions) general rule: If the client wants a deep, rooted look, choose a root melt. If the client wants a lived-in look that still maintains brightness, choose a root smudge. See the breakdown below!
Know The Differences: Root Melt vs. Root Smudge
Pro Tip: Samantha formulates with a 10-minute permanent color like LUMI10 to cut down processing time to only 10 minutes.
#4: Embracing Grays? Here’s A Quickie!
Picture this: Your client has been covering their grays for years, but is ready to transition into a more natural blend. This is your sign to expand their options in the consultation, like this “back to gray” transformation by Larisa Love (@larisadoll).
Here’s what you need to know
- Desired Goal: Transition to a dimensional gray that follows the client’s natural color pattern
- Foils: Larisa uses her Arrowhead foil method to lift the hair to a Level 9 ½
- Formulate with Joico Blonde Life Powder Lightener
- Use a lower developer on prelightened hair
- Use a higher developer on regrowth areas
- Fold the foil at the line of demarcation
- Toning Gray
- Tone between foils with Joico LumiShine Demi Liquid 1oz 4SB + 1oz 5N + a cap of 1BS to achieve darker, deep gray tones
- Then, tone with Joico Blonde Life Quick Tone Liqui-Crème Toner Silver for pure gray tones
Watch The Video Below!
View this post on Instagram
20-Minute Bronde? Here’s What You Need To Know
The HOTTEST Styling Trends Of Fall 2022
Hello Fall: What’s Inside This Season’s BTC Beauty Box
SOS! Shadow Roots Making Blondes Look Dull
Demi-Gloss Liquid Toner
5 Timesaving Gray Coverage Hacks You Need
The BTC Show 2022: 10 Things We Saw
Breaking News: 2022 #ONESHOT Hair Awards Winners
Skinny Lights: 5 Foil Tips For Hairline Blondes
The Internet’s Early 2000s Obsession Lives On Through Sleek-and-Spiky Hairstyles
Beachwaves, Ripple Waves and Romantic Waves: 3 Styles For Your Summer Clients
HydraSplash Replenishing Leave-In
Weekend Hair Dry Shampoo
Meet Your New Subscription Obsession: The BTC Beauty Box
3-in-1 Express Service: Base Color, Highlights & Gray Coverage
The Biggest Hair Color Trends Of Spring & Summer 2022
10-Minute Money Making Hack For In Between Clients
3 Tips For Adding Natural Depth To Copper Highlights
The Best Hair & Beauty Looks From The Oscars 2022
Is Red Hair Spring 2022’s Hottest Trend?
3 Steps To Building A Brunette Balayage
Sydney Sweeney’s Warm Strawberry Blonde
2022 Styling Trends To Know: Blowouts, Money Piece Braids + Hair Rollers