Strawberry Chocolate Sombré
With more than 10,000 likes on Facebook and 7,000 likes on Instagram, we knew our members wanted to know how to recreate this bold, fiery hue. So we asked Chelsea Caruso, of Gerber Salon in Keyport, NJ, who became an Instagram star with her creative approach to hair painting to share her formula. Here, she shares how she updated a grown out ombré with a sultry, hot red color that demands to be noticed.
Natural levels: Base: A dark Level 6
Ends: A warm Level 7
Formula A (base): 1 oz. 5/81 Wella Professionals ILLUMINA Color + ½ 4/ + equal parts Wella Professionals 6-volume developer
Formula B (highlights): 3 ounces Artego Balayage Lightener to 1 ounce Wella Professionals 40-volume developer (lightener should be a toothpaste consistency)
Formula C (glaze): PRAVANA VIVIDS Red
1. Apply Formula A on regrowth area, using wide strokes to extend the color downward, to create a “rooty” look. The wider the stroke the “rootier” the outcome.
2. working from the nape up toward the part/hairline, use a classic balayage technique and apply Formula B to blend current highlights into the base shade. It is okay for Formulas A and B to merge, as it creates a beautiful blend!
3. Cover highlights with Saran Wrap and process for 25 minutes. The desired lightness is a Level 9-10. If the ends are not as light as needed after 25 minutes, let the color process for more time until the desired level has been achieved.
4. Once processed to desired highlight level, shampoo with Wella Professionals Brilliance Shampoo.
5. Towel-dry the hair and apply Formula C. Allow the hair to process for a minimum of 25 minutes.
6. Rinse and condition the hair, style as desired.