How-To: Opal Blonde
This isn’t just any old blonde…it’s opal blonde! The subtlest hints of pink, purple and gold against the coolest of blonde backdrops is just stunning. Madison Clifford @madisoncliffordhair of the Scottsdale, Ariz. salon Parlour gave us the breakdown on how she got this delicate-yet-edgy look—check it out!
Starting Level: The client came in with a natural Level 6 at the base, an old base color 6N on the midshafts and semi-prelightened ends with some natural color blended in.
Formula A: Wella Professionals Blondor + 40-volume developer + Olaplex No.1
Formula B: Wella Blondor + 30-volume + Olaplex No.1
Formula C: Kenra Professional Metallics 7VM + 6-volume developer
Formula D: Kenra 9VM + Kenra 10SM + 6-volume developer + 1 inch Red Booster + 1 inch Violet Booster
Formula E: Kenra 7VM + 6-volume developer + 1.5 inch Red Booster + a dot of Violet Booster
1. Prelighten the hair from roots to ends to an even Level 10. Begin by doing a virgin bleach application using Formula A on the midshafts. Go back through and use Formula B, applying on roots and ends.
2. Apply Formula C on the base, about 2.5 inches down.
3. Alternating Formulas C, D and E, paint in panels, smudging with the base color. Use only Formula C on the top layer. Process for 25 minutes.
4. Rinse thoroughly, then apply Olaplex No.2 and leave in for at least 10 minutes.
5. Shampoo, condition and style. Voila!
Pricing: Madison said she would charge between $150-$300 for this color service depending on how many steps it takes to lift the client to a level 10. “Make sure not to skip any steps, and charge accordingly,” she says.