Going, Going… BLONDE!
Athanasia Zografos of Hugo Salon in Kensington, MD knows what it takes to lift the darkest shades to the lightest of blondes! Here's how they lifted a dark shade to a light, fun and sexy blonde pixie!
Going, Going… BLONDE!
Anthanasia Zografos of Hugo Salon in Kensington, MD has a lesson for all colorists out there—coloring is not one size fits all! With any big color changes—whether dark to light or vice versa—you should always judge your client’s hair on a case-by-case basis. It is not only necessary but it is required that you adapt your formulas for every single client that walks through your door! It’s all in the hair (and the way the color lifts!). Here is how Hugo Salon lifted a dark haired client to a fun, light blonde!
Starting Level: 3
Wella Professionals Color Formulas
Formula A (lighten 1): 1 oz. Wella Multi-Blonde Power Lightener + 1.5 oz. Koleston Perfect 35-volume developer + 1/4 oz. Olaplex
Formula B (lighten 2): 1 oz. Wella Soft Blonde Oil Mixed Cream Lightener + 1.5 oz. Koleston Perfect 35-volume developer
Formula C (lighten 3): 1 oz. Wella Multi-Blonde Powder Lightener + 1.5 oz. Koleston Perfect 40-volume developer
Formula D (tone): 1 oz. Wella Koleston Perfect 10/16 + 1 inch 10/11 + 2 oz. Koleston Perfect Pastel Developer
1. Begin by applying Formula A from the mid-shaft to the ends. Process for 10 minutes without heat.
2. Next, apply Formula B on the roots. This time, process under a heat lamp for three minutes, watching cautiously.
3. Once removed from the heat, completely wrap the hair in cotton to seal in the heat and to prevent the bleach from drying. Process in the dryer on medium heat for 10 minutes—leaving a good space between the lamp and the hair.
4. Remove from the dryer and process for another 15 minutes without heat.
5. Carefully remove the cotton layers and then apply Formula C throughout the hair, paying close attention to any remaining yellow. Thoroughly coat any remaining yellow spots with Formula C. Process for 10 minutes without heat.
6. Shampoo, towel dry and apply Formula D all over. Process for 20 minutes with a cap on, without heat.