3 Signs Of Scalp Imbalance And How To Solve Them
Scalp Imbalance Problems and Solutions
Changing season = changing scalp health. You’re going to start seeing more clients with very dry or very oily scalps—some might even be inflamed. It can be a sensitive issue, but as the expert, you can totally help them! Here is a rundown of scalp imbalance signs and how to help your clients handle it.
We went to amika to ask all our scalp Qs, and Pro Educator Amanda Elaine Killen delivered! Give this a read so you can help your clients with this problem and offer both in-salon and take-home solutions.
Three Signs of a Scalp Imbalance
Clients who have a scalp imbalance are likely to be experiencing one or more of these symptoms:
- A scalp that is tight or excessively dry with flaking
- A scalp that feels excessively oily with flat, dull-looking hair
- A scalp with inflammation, redness or hair loss
A scalp imbalance can be caused by several things, like product build-up or a fluctuation in naturally occurring hormones, Amanda said. A scalp with dandruff and dead skin build-up is producing hair with base follicles that are suffocated by residual debris and dirt. Hair may be weakened over time due to scratching the scalp.
On the flip side, an abundant production of oils is also a sign of a scalp imbalance. “An overly oily scalp can cause hair thinning and slow hair growth, and prolonged build-up of the scalp’s sebum can increase the risks of dermal conditions and fungi growth,” Amanda said. These issues can all lead to scalp inflammation, which if left untreated can impede the ability for new hair to grow.
Who Should Use A Scalp Care Regimen
Clients of all types can benefit from a scalp hair routine. Why?
- Exfoliation provides helpful maintenance for the scalp, ensuring the best hair condition.
- Scalp care hits the reset button on environmental contaminates and product build-up.
How To Do A Scalp Care Regimen in the Salon
“Routinely exfoliating and cleansing the scalp from product helps hair feel revived and primed to receive the benefits of nutrients and hydrating treatments,” Amanda said. Here’s the routine she uses on her clients:
- Start with the hair in quadrants and apply the amika Reset Pink Charcoal Scalp Cleansing Oil as a pre-shampoo treatment to detoxify and invigorate the scalp, promoting balance and health. Amanda begins at the nape so and works her way forward.
- Follow with amika Reset Exfoliating Jelly Shampoo to cleanse and rebalance with refined sea salt to exfoliate, being sure to apply the product directly onto the scalp.
- Now that the hair is a clean slate, proceed with the salon service.
At-Home Scalp Care
While completing the regimen during the salon visit, explain to your guest the importance of a healthy scalp (because you just read this article and now you are an expert!). Then, talk about how easy it is to keep up the regimen at home.
“I recommend a routine similar to a skincare regimen,” Amanda said. Here’s her script:
- “Once a week, take time for scalp health and treat yourself to a 5-minute massage using Reset Pink Charcoal Scalp Cleansing Oil.”
- “Massage stimulates blood flow to the scalp, and that enhanced blood flow helps nourish the hair follicle at its base, distribute healthy scalp oils, reduce the appearance of dry hair and release tension and stress.”
- “Use gentle pressure and a circular motion with your fingers throughout your scalp.”
- “Follow with a gentle shampoo, like Reset Exfoliating Jelly Shampoo, and a generous rinse to feel completely refreshed.”
Watch The How-To Video Below!
These Are The Hottest Hair Launches To Close Out Summer 2023
Hydro Rush Intense Moisture Mask
amika Launches New Professional Salon Loyalty Program
The Last Product Launch Before Summer 2023
Amika Is Now Available at Cosmo Prof®
Met Gala 2023: The Hottest Hair & Beauty Looks
KIM PETRAS’ SLEEK DEEP SIDE PART AT THE 2023 MET GALA
Spring 2023’s Pro Beauty Product Launch
People & Planet: amika Spreads The Love With B Corp Certification
Your Complete Guide To Color Blocking
This Year’s BIGGEST Products: 2022’s Most Talked About
15 Styling Trends That Will Be Everywhere in Winter 2023
Every Pro Beauty Holiday Set For 2022
Fine Hair: Do You Know How To Handle It?
8 Just-Launched Hair Products Stylists Need To Try
The HOTTEST Styling Trends Of Fall 2022
The Internet’s Early 2000s Obsession Lives On Through Sleek-and-Spiky Hairstyles
Our Editor’s Must-Try Hair Products This Summer
Curl Care: 5 Common Curl Problems & Solutions
’90s-Inspired Spiky Topknot
Instant Shine Spray
Curl Enhancing Gel
Bansk Group Acquires Majority Stake in amika and Eva NYC