3 Signs Of Scalp Imbalance And How To Solve Them
Scalp Imbalance Problems and Solutions
Changing season = changing scalp health. You’re going to start seeing more clients with very dry or very oily scalps—some might even be inflamed. It can be a sensitive issue, but as the expert, you can totally help them! Here is a rundown of scalp imbalance signs and how to help your clients handle it.
We went to amika to ask all our scalp Qs, and Pro Educator Amanda Elaine Killen delivered! Give this a read so you can help your clients with this problem and offer both in-salon and take-home solutions.
Three Signs of a Scalp Imbalance
Clients who have a scalp imbalance are likely to be experiencing one or more of these symptoms:
- A scalp that is tight or excessively dry with flaking
- A scalp that feels excessively oily with flat, dull-looking hair
- A scalp with inflammation, redness or hair loss
A scalp imbalance can be caused by several things, like product build-up or a fluctuation in naturally occurring hormones, Amanda said. A scalp with dandruff and dead skin build-up is producing hair with base follicles that are suffocated by residual debris and dirt. Hair may be weakened over time due to scratching the scalp.
On the flip side, an abundant production of oils is also a sign of a scalp imbalance. “An overly oily scalp can cause hair thinning and slow hair growth, and prolonged build-up of the scalp’s sebum can increase the risks of dermal conditions and fungi growth,” Amanda said. These issues can all lead to scalp inflammation, which if left untreated can impede the ability for new hair to grow.
Who Should Use A Scalp Care Regimen
Clients of all types can benefit from a scalp hair routine. Why?
- Exfoliation provides helpful maintenance for the scalp, ensuring the best hair condition.
- Scalp care hits the reset button on environmental contaminates and product build-up.
How To Do A Scalp Care Regimen in the Salon
“Routinely exfoliating and cleansing the scalp from product helps hair feel revived and primed to receive the benefits of nutrients and hydrating treatments,” Amanda said. Here’s the routine she uses on her clients:
- Start with the hair in quadrants and apply the amika Reset Pink Charcoal Scalp Cleansing Oil as a pre-shampoo treatment to detoxify and invigorate the scalp, promoting balance and health. Amanda begins at the nape so and works her way forward.
- Follow with amika Reset Exfoliating Jelly Shampoo to cleanse and rebalance with refined sea salt to exfoliate, being sure to apply the product directly onto the scalp.
- Now that the hair is a clean slate, proceed with the salon service.
At-Home Scalp Care
While completing the regimen during the salon visit, explain to your guest the importance of a healthy scalp (because you just read this article and now you are an expert!). Then, talk about how easy it is to keep up the regimen at home.
“I recommend a routine similar to a skincare regimen,” Amanda said. Here’s her script:
- “Once a week, take time for scalp health and treat yourself to a 5-minute massage using Reset Pink Charcoal Scalp Cleansing Oil.”
- “Massage stimulates blood flow to the scalp, and that enhanced blood flow helps nourish the hair follicle at its base, distribute healthy scalp oils, reduce the appearance of dry hair and release tension and stress.”
- “Use gentle pressure and a circular motion with your fingers throughout your scalp.”
- “Follow with a gentle shampoo, like Reset Exfoliating Jelly Shampoo, and a generous rinse to feel completely refreshed.”
Watch The How-To Video Below!
Your Client’s Guide To Summer Hair Damage Repair
Fadeblock Pre-Shampoo Color Seal
The Textured Hair Elevated Summit Is Happening July 6—Here’s Everything You Need To Know
How The Pro Beauty Industry Can Better Support Black Stylists
amika Launches New Affiliate Program For Salons
Flash Instant Shine Mask
5 Styling Quickies For Winter Brides
Backstage Hair Tricks That Work IRL
Thicc Volumizing Base
13 Treatments & Masks Your Clients Will Thank You For
amika Team Honored With City of Hope’s “Spirit of Life®” Award
Lana Del Rey’s Retro Updo
Soulfood Nourishing Mask
Supernova Moisture and Shine Cream
5 Tips To Master The Figure 8 Braid
BTC Hosts First Ever International Show: “On Tour” London
BTC “On Tour” London
“On Tour” London Cocktail Party
How amika Is Helping More Cancer Patients Keep Their Hair
5 Major Hair, Nail & Beauty Trends From New York Fashion Week
Get Out Your Smallest Curling Irons! Tighter & Frizz-Free Curls Are Trending At Fashion Week
The Wet Hair Look Is The Beauty Trend We Saw Everywhere at Fashion Week
Strobe Contour Kit
#THEBTCSHOW 2019: DAY 3