2 Tips For Shadow Root Success
Clients are requesting shadow roots more now than ever before, so perfect both your technique and the at-home care you recommend. Keep reading for details on how to get a seamless root shadow with a healthy, shiny end result.
We spotted the video below by Eric Vaughn (@realericvaughn) on Instagram where it got more than 500k views (!!!) so we went straight to him to get his tips on shadow roots.
Two Cardinal Rules Of Shadow Roots
- Keep Blondes Bright: When blonde clients request a shadow root for easier color maintenance, make sure she knows she WILL be darker than she’s used to, Eric said. To keep her happy, leave the hairline out when applying the shadow root formula to keep her bright around the face.
- Ensure Long-Lasting Results: Eric recommends balancing the hair’s pH at the end of a color service to close the hair cuticle. He likes the Biolage Color Care Acidic Milk Rinse to seal in color, plus he avoids using super warm water to protect his work.
Recreate The Look:
1. Do a traditional foil highlight using your choice of lightener with 20-volume developer and 25-volume developer in the Mohawk section. Then rinse and use a “bowlayage” technique on the ends at the shampoo bowl using your choice of lightener with 20-volume developer.
2. To create the root shadow, apply your formula (Eric used equal parts 7N + 8V) one inch down from the root and comb through for a soft, blended outcome. Eric leaves the hairline out to add brightness around the face. While the root shadow processes, apply equal parts 9V and Clear at the ends to finish the look.
3. Next, rinse and finish with the Biolage Color Care Acidic Milk Rinse to balance the pH and lock in the color. When saturating the hair with the Milk Rinse, the hair becomes visibly smoother and stronger and the color becomes more vibrant.
4. Then style as desired using the Biolage Heat Styling Primer—it provides heat protection up to 450 degrees, and when blow-dried into strands, it can resurface hair fibers for even, healthy texture and optimal color reflectivity.
4 Pink Color Formulas + The Techniques Behind The Looks
Light Pink Formula + Braided French Twist
Muted Metallic Glaze + Color Care
Color Care Therapy Shampoo and Conditioner
Color Care Acidic Milk Rinse
Heat Styling Primer