The secret to creating dimensional, tone-on-tone fashion colors? For BTC Team Member Michelle Stevenson (@michellehair) it’s about working with tones in the same color family for a complementary outcome and always considering the starting level or prelightened canvas (when in doubt, strand test it out!). Watch her quickie Insta vid below, then check out her formulas, quick tips and steps for creating this tone-on-tone lavender!
Who Did It
1. To start, prelighten the hair by surface painting each section from roots to ends with a clay lightener and your choice of developer.
2. Once the hair is lightened, apply Formula A at the roots all over.
3. Then, starting in the nape and working up and toward the front hairline, alternate applying Formulas A, B and C from the mids to the ends until the entire head is complete.
4. Use small sections when applying the color to avoid shallow spots and to ensure each section is completely saturated.
Pro Tip: Wipe your hands/gloves between each section—this keeps the working sections clean and avoids any muddy color outcome.
5. Let color process, then rinse and shampoo with Matrix Total Results The Re-Bond 3-Step Strength Rehab System.