Blonde Ribboned Root Smudge
“I want dimension throughout my hair, a lot of blonde around my face and natural at the root.” How many times a week do you hear this in your chair? Although this is likely one of your most requested color appointments, do you have a go-to process? Or are you just doing a root retouch with a couple extra tip-outs…
Keep scrolling for the 4-part breakdown of this gorgeous color by New Jersey-based stylist Paula Pedersen (@_hairbypaula) for her formula, advice, techniques, pricing and more on perfecting this client-loved look.
1. How long was this color service & how did you price it?
Here’s what Paula what to say: “For this transformation, I do my signature lived-in foiliage technique which takes around a total of three hours, all depending on the density of the hair. The cost for a look like this ranges around $500 to $550 however, the cost could go up depending on if extra product is needed. (I charge $35 for each additional bowl of color needed).”
2. What is the ideal client & color technique for this look?
“I used my go-to lived-in foiliage technique, so balayage painting strokes and foils which help with a clean and easy lift,” Paula explains.
“The ideal client for that technique is someone who has little to no previous color, although I can do this on pretty much any of my clients and just customize for everyone’s different needs,” she says.
3. What does maintenance look like for this color? (At-home care, toning touch-ups, appointments, etc.)
Paula says, “This look is super low maintenance, my clients go around 5 to 6 months without touching their color!” she adds, “Most of my clients don’t even have to come in for toners refresh the grow out is as stunning as it was from the beginning, some of my clients say they even love the grow out the best!.”
For at-home care, Paula shares she always tells her clients to use a sulfate shampoo. Here’s her list of go-to recommendations:
- Davines Oi Shampoo and Conditioner
- Redken All Soft Shampoo and Conditioner
- Any shampoo and conditioner line from L’Oréal Professionnel
4. Read this must-do step for the perfect ribbon result:
Paula shares, “The most important tip I would say if you’re trying to achieve a look like this, is don’t skip tipping out the ends of the client’s hair. Whether you do it in foils or hand painting, make sure it’s blended all the way up—it ties this look together. You’d be surprised how much of a difference skipping this step makes!”
Who Did It
1. Apply your go-to foiliage technique, concentrating pigment around the face and heavy tip-outs through the ends.
2. Apply Formula A as a root smudge. Process for 10 minutes. Paula says, “I love the new Matrix Tonal Control Toners not only for an all-over color but for root smudging! Sometimes I struggle with other brands’ consistency, but these have the best formula and amazing consistency to achieve the perfect root melt!”
3. Apply Formula B as an all-over toner. Process for 7 to 10 minutes.