Ariel Winter’s Black To Strawberry Blonde Transformation
With Modern Family officially ending (we will miss you, Dunphy family!), we were stoked to see that actress Ariel Winter was ready for a major hair transformation—after years of coloring her hair black, she wanted a rich strawberry hue! And we are LIVING for it. Celeb colorist at Nine Zero One Salon, Tabitha Dueñas (@hairbytabitha), took on the creative color challenge with a seven-hour process (she totally crushed it!) and we have all of deets below.
Who Did It
2. Start by applying Rusk Elimin8 Color Corrector on dry hair.
3. Process for 20 minutes with a cap and no heat.
Pro Tip: “It’s important to remove as much black as possible with this step,” shares Tabitha. “The only next option is a bleach product, so starting with the least damaging is best.”
4. Vigorously shampoo (this removes the color best), then repeat the Elimin8 Color Corrector step on very towel-dried hair. Tabitha always skips the final step of adding developer when she is going to use lightener after. “Never skip this if you plan to deposit immediately after,” she warns. “It will go DARK!”
5. Then, Tim Dueñas (@timduenashair) blew out Ariel’s hair and gave her a trim.
6. Next, apply Formula A from the line of demarcation (1-inch from the roots) through the ends, using plastic wrap to separate sections. Tabitha chose to work with an ammonia-free cream lightener with five levels of lift that features beeswax. Here’s why: “It’s slow enough for you to apply to the whole head without racing to rinse the fist section,” shares Tabitha.
7. Once the hair lifts to a gold color, apply Formula A to the roots.
8. Process until the entire head is an even golden yellow, then shampoo everything and apply a conditioning treatment.
9. Blow-dry the hair, then apply Formula B all over and process for 30 minutes.
10. Apply Formula C (off-scalp) to the ends to add richness and more shine. Process, rinse and wash. Blow-dry and style as desired.
Peep The Dramatic Transformation 👀