Your Official Guide To Barbie Blonde
6 Must-Know Tips For Turning Your Clients Barbie Blonde
Hello, Barbie—let’s go party? More like: Hello, Barbie—let’s go blonde. Greta Gertwig’s “Barbie” starring Margot Robbie is hitting theaters in T-minus two months, which means there’s plenty of time for clients to go blonde before the world’s most iconic doll takes the stage.
To help you out with all your blonde requests, we complied a list of must-know tips, formulas and more to make sure it all runs smoothly.
PSA: Per BTC’s Trend Report, clients are going warm this season. While lifting to a pale yellow comparable to the inside of a banana peel is usually the go-to lift for blondes, BTC Team Member Eric Coyle (@ericmichaelhair) aims for a lift similar to the outside of the peel when creating honey blondes.
“Your lift is everything with blondes,” Eric shares. “You don’t want to lift to a Level 10, because you want some pigment for the tone to adhere to. So leaving warmth is super important.”
See Eric’s outer-banana lift:
Color Formulas for Golden Blondes:
- All-Over Bright, Shimmery Blonde by @rachelwstylist with Moroccanoil®
- Natural Golden Blonde by @bel_pipsqueekinsaigon with evo
- TikTok star Alix Earle’s Golden Blonde by @julianneparis with Redken
The overwhelming majority of American households use hard water—the primary culprit of heavy mineral build-up. Hard water build-up doesn’t just weigh down the hair; it can compromise your color results by causing breakage, too. And it makes maintaining bright tones on blonde hair exceptionally difficult.
Here’s how BTC Team Member Taylor Dellatorre (@taylordidmyhair) tackles the issue:
- Combine three spoonfuls of Urban Alchemy Signature Cleanse with 60 mL of water in an applicator bottle.
- Shake the mixture until it reaches a gel-like consistency.
- Section unwashed hair, damp or dry is, and apply from roots to ends. Do NOT comb through.
- Allow the cleanse to process for 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
Voila! Now, Taylor’s client is build-up free with a clean canvas for their blonde transformation.
Watch Taylor’s process:
If you’re struggling with clients complaining that their blonde is too dark, Schwarzkopf Professional® Artistic Team Member Josie Vilay (@josievilay) has a solution that’s already in your color bar: Red and gold. While adding warmth to ash tones may seem counter-productive, here’s why it’s an essential:
- Adding gold to your toning formula adds brightness and shine to blonde hair.
- Adding red to your toning formula dials down ash tones and reflects light through intentional warmth—no brass included!
Tap the video to see Josie’s incredibly satisfying process:
We all know Barbie isn’t walking around with mega roots. If you have clients coming in with regrowth AND warm banding, use this technique from blonding specialist Suzi Angelina (@hair.by.suzi) to correct, conceal and refresh blondes into a soft, even grow-out.
Here’s Suzi’s step-by-step formula:
- Eliminate banding and blend new growth by lifting the root with Moroccanoil® Blonde Voyage Powder Lightener + 20-volume Moroccanoil® Oxidative Cream Developer.
- From the ears forward, create babylights toward the hairline for a blended, face-framing refresh.
- Tone to a trendy, warm blonde using Moroccanoil® Color Calypso Demi-Permanent Gloss 9.3 + a splash of 8.3 + Moroccanoil® Color Calypso Demi-Permanent Gloss Activator.
Looking for more Barbie formulas? Check out these platinum must-haves:
- Selena Gomez’s Blonde Formulas using Joico
- Beige Bleach Blonde using evo hair
- Clear Platinum Blonde using PRAVANA
Is your client craving flowing, Barbie-grade locks? The LUSH luxury extension line by Hotheads® takes blondes the next level with six different shades of 100 percent Virgin Remy hair sourced from Continental Europe—a.k.a. everything you need to create the brightest blondes possible.
Here are some tips from Hotheads® Master Educator Belinda Benham (@hairby_belinda) for using LUSH to create Barbie-certified blondes:
- Avoid a flat, washed-out result by using two or more different shades of blonde. LUSH by Hotheads® carries six: Diamond, Opal, Topaz, Garnet, Pearl and Cool Sapphire.
- Recommend shorter lengths for clients who are new to extensions; longer lengths might be more than they are ready to maintain at-home!
- Use strategic placement to create extensions that look and feel natural. With each row of extensions you apply, use the next row to fill in the gaps left behind. Here’s Belinda’s full technique!
Pro tip: LUSH by Hotheads® is the first extension line to offer full transparency and traceability for their hair. See exactly where your hair comes from and how it’s sourced by simply scanning the QR code on each pack. Click here to learn more about your hair’s journey!
Slide to reveal Belinda’s layering technique for flawless, Barbie blonde extensions:
Are you ready to revolutionize your extensions game? Join BTC University and learn the latest trends, techniques and insider tips from the pros. Click here to learn more!
Remember, warm, golden blondes are all the rage this season. The last thing you want to do is lose your client’s sun-kissed inspo pic in a bunch of ash. That’s why Chicago-based stylist Maggie O’Connor (@hairbymaggie.oconnor) avoids glossing with a gray background or cooling blondes down to point where they lose their brightness.
Here’s Maggie’s one-step glossing formula for lustrous, natural-looking blondes:
- Maggie’s formula: Redken Shades EQ Bonder Inside ⅜ oz 10GI + 1 ⅝ oz Crystal Clear + 2 oz Shades EQ Processing Solution
- Apply the formula to dry hair. Maggie prefers to use a brush at her chair versus with a bottle at the shampoo bowl so she can display the added value to her clients.
- Allow to process for 20 minutes before rinsing.
Maggie’s unique application method highlights the value of her service:
Use these celeb blondes as inspo for your Barbie takeover:
- Emma Roberts’ Buttercream Blonde with Wella Professionals and L’Oréal Professionnel
- Chloe Fineman’s Brunette To Golden Blonde Transformation
- Hilary Duff’s Creamy Blonde