Last updated: June 13, 2018
Trouble With Color Fading? Here’s Why!
Do your guests have trouble keeping their color from fading? We grabbed a few tips from our #btcgirl and balayage expert @prettylittleombre for her take on this issue!
1. Don’t Use Hairspray Right Away
- If clients are using hairspray on a fresh hue they might notice their color start to fade.
- Here’s why: Products like hairspray are loaded with alcohol which opens the cuticle and can strip color quickly.
- Tell clients to stay away from alcohol-heavy products immediately following a color service.
2. Wait To Wash
- Jamie always has her guests wait 48 hours to wash their hair after receiving a color service.
- Here’s why: Within that amount of time, oxidation happens and the color pigments secure to the hair strands.
- If clients wash too quickly after a service, it can disrupt the process and cause fading.
3. Use Quality Products
- According to Jamie, shampoo can either save or kill a client’s color (and your hard work).
- Here’s why: Ingredients like sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate are foaming agents that can strip color
- Tell your clients to stay away from shampoos with those ingredients, and use this as an opportunity to retail a color-safe shampoo.