The Red Carpet’s Color Standouts
At the Golden Globes, the gowns weren’t the only eyecatching part of the red carpet—the stars’ haircolor was just as brilliant. Four standouts from the evening? Olivia Wilde’s face-framing lights, Bryce Dallas Howard’s copper red, Jenna Dewan-Tatum’s rich chocolate brown and Amy Schumer’s sparkling blonde. Anticipating the soon-to-be high demand for this gorgeous color, we spoke to the stylists behind these stunning manes, Joico Celerity Colorist and Spokesperson Denis de Souza, Goldwell Celebrity Colorist Rona O’Connor and Redken Celebrity Colorist Tracey Cunningham who shared their head-turning formulas.
Olivia Wilde’s Face-Framing Lights
Highlight Formula: LumiShine Permanent Crème Color HLN + HLA +40-volume developer
Glaze Formula: LumiShine Demi-Permanent Liquid Color 1/2 oz. CLEAR + 1/4 oz. 9NV + 1/4 oz. 10G
1. Highlight the hair, then balayage with Joico Crème Lightener + 20-volume developer, feathering the tips of the hair around the face for an illuminating effect.
2. Apply the Glaze Formula and process for 20 minutes.
3. Shampoo and condition with Joico K-PAK Color Therapy for high-lift color care protection and healthy hair.
Jenna Dewan-Tatum’s Chocolate Brown
Formula A (base): LumiShine Permanent Crème Color 4N + 5NA +5-volume
Formula B (highlight): 5NA + 5-volume developer
Formula C (glaze): LumiShine Demi-Permanent Liquid Color 1/2 oz. CLEAR + 1/2 oz. 8NA with 5 volume
1. Apply Formula A to all hair.
2. Foil a few pieces around the face using Formula B, and process for 20 minutes.
3. Shampoo and condition the hair with Joico Color Balance Blue Shampoo and Conditioner, which is perfect for lightened brunettes.
Amy Schumer’s Sparkling Blonde
“I do a quick bump of Amy’s natural Level 8 base to a Level 9 on wet hair,” says Rona. Then I add diension with highlights and lowlights, and finish with a gloss for durable high shine.
Formula A (base bump): Goldwell New Blonde 5 Minute Highlight Upgrade
Formula B (highlights): Goldwell Silk Lift Regular + 20-volume developer + Silk Lift Conditioning Drops
Formula C (lowlights): Goldwell Topchic 8N + 8GB + 10-volume developer
Formula D (gloss): Goldwell Elumen Clear
1. Apply Formula A to new growth, process 5 minutes. Rinse, shampoo and condition with Goldwell Dualsenses Color Fade Stop Shampoo and Detangling Conditioner.
2. Create a natural foil weave pattern, alternating Formulas B and C, leaving out half-inch sections between foils. Process until highlights are golden ivory. Rinse, shampoo and towel blot the hair.
3. Saturate all damp hair with Formula D, process with heat for 10 minutes, rinse, shampoo and condition with Goldwell Dualsenses Color Fade Stop Shampoo and Detangling Conditioner.
Bryce Dallas Howard’s Copper Red
Natural level: 6, Dark Blonde
Highlight Formula: 1 scoop Flash Lift Maximum Power Lightening Powder + 1 oz. 30-volume Pro-oxide Cream Developer
Balayage Formula (Zone 2-3): 1 scoop Blonde Idol Free Hand Creamy Lightener+ 1½ oz. 30-volume Pro-oxide Cream Developer
Glaze Formula (Zone 1): 1½ oz. 09NB Irish Creme Shades EQ Gloss + ¼ oz. 09AA Papaya Shades EQ Gloss + ¼ oz. 09GB Butter Cream Shades EQ Gloss + 2 oz. Shades EQ Processing Solution
Glaze Formula (Zone 2): ½ oz. 09NB Irish Creme Shades EQ Gloss + ¼ oz. 09AA Papaya Shades EQ Gloss + ¼ oz. 09GB Butter Cream Shades EQ Gloss + 1 oz. Crystal Clear Shades EQ Gloss + 2 oz. Shades EQ Processing Solution