How-To: Balayage with George Papanikolas
Whether they want that sun-kissed balayage look, traditional highlights or an all-over application, lightening is never going out of style. And now, keeping her hair protected while giving her a lightened look is easier than ever, according to one of our fav celebrity stylists—Matrix’s George Papanikolas. The NEW LIGHTINSIDER Lightening System from Matrix is ammonia free and can lift your clients up 6 levels while keeping her hair 27 percent more conditioned than other ammonia powder lighteners.
Watch George’s signature balayage technique with LIGHTINSIDER and see the transformation below.
Want more looks? BTC has the how-tos for that desired sun-kissed balayage and an all-over lightened look your clients will be sure to love!
How-To: Sun-Kissed Balayage with LIGHTINSIDER
This technique can be used on pre-colored hair or for low-maintenance lightening on virgin hair.
This technique is used on a level 9 light blonde following a new growth application.
Formula A: One sachet LIGHTINSIDER Lightening Booster Powder + 3 oz. 10-volume COLORINSIDER Oil-Cream Developer + one tube LIGHTINSIDER Lightening Conditioning Cream
Formula B: 2 oz. Color Sync 8 G + 2 oz. 10-volume MATRIX Cream Developer
Formula C: 2 oz. Color Sync SPN + 2 oz. 10-volume MATRIX Cream Developer
Section 1: Take a deep zigzag parting over the parietal ridge and secure. Don’t include the front hairline.
1. At each inverted point, take a small triangle section and hold the hair with tension straight out from the head.
2. Using a free-hand method, apply Formula A to the underside of the section with a side brushing technique. Next, apply to the top of the strand. For a soft transition apply about 1-inch away from the scalp. (For greater control, use a board and place hair on top, saturating the strand evenly.)
3. Place a piece of cotton underneath the strand to protect the remaining hair. Let process to a level 10, Pale Yellow, or up to 50 minutes at room temperature. Rinse, cleanse, condition and towel dry hair.
4. Resection the hair as in Step 1, including the lightened pieces into the zigzag parting.
5. Apply Formula B from scalp to ends on all hair outside of Section 1. Place foil over the section to separate.
6. Next, release Section 1 and apply Formula C to the entire section from scalp to ends.
7. Process for up to 20 minutes or until desired result is achieved. Rinse, cleanse and condition using Matrix Biolage or Total Results™ Shampoo and Conditioner.
How-To: Full Head Application for an all-over Lightened Look
This technique is perfect for clients with sensitive hair who want added conditioning.
Natural Level 7 Dark Blonde with new growth and prelightened midlengths and ends.
Formula A: One sachet LIGHTINSIDER Lightening Booster Powder + 3 oz. 20-volume COLORINSIDER Oil-Cream Developer + one tube LIGHTINSIDER Lightening Conditioning Cream
Formula B: 1 oz. Color Sync 10P + 1 oz. Color Sync 8P + 2 oz. 10-volume MATRIX Cream Developer
Formula C: 2 oz. Color Sync SPV + 2 oz. 10-volume MATRIX Cream Developer
1. Section the hair into quadrants.
2. Apply Formula A to the new growth area using fine horizontal subsections and cross-check taking vertical sections to ensure complete coverage of lightener. Process at room temperature to a Level 10, pale yellow, or up to 50 minutes, then rinse, cleanse and towel-dry the hair.
3. Take a zigzag parting around the parietal ridge and secure. This is Section 1.
4. At the bottom point of each zigzag, create a diamond. These diamonds are Section 2, and the remaining hair below the parietal is Section 3.
5. Starting in Section 2, take a 1/8-inch diagonal slice on the lower front side of the diamond and place on foil.
6. Apply Formula B from scalp to ends. Work on a diagonal until all diamond sections are complete. (Tip: alternate working from one side of the head to the other and from front to back to ensure even processing.)
7. Apply Formula C to all remaining hair. Process for 20 minutes or until desired result is achieved. Rinse, cleanse and condition using Matrix Biolage or Total Results™ Shampoo and Conditioner.