Color Correction: From Botched to BABE
We’ve ALL been there—a new client who thought she could color her own hair with drugstore boxed color is now sitting in your chair, and she’s counting on you to clean up the mess! Here's how stylist Natasha Gorges turned her client’s boxed color mess into a rich, buttery blonde with a gorgeous, on-trend shadow root.
From Botched to BABE
We’ve ALL been there—a new client who thought she could color her own hair with drugstore boxed color is now sitting in your chair, and she’s counting on you to clean up the mess! Natasha Gorges (@Natashagorges_salonskye), a stylist at Salon Skye in West Bloomfield, Mich., feels you.
“The day prior [to this service], I received a phone call from a guest who had never been to me before and needed a hair transformation ASAP,” says Natasha. “As we went over her previous color history, she mentioned she had applied boxed color from a drug store herself the day before.”
Thankfully, Natasha was able to turn her client’s boxed color mess into a rich, buttery blonde with a gorgeous, on-trend shadow root, and her client is thrilled with the low-maintenance result. Here’s how Natasha saved the day.
Natural Level: 3/4
Starting Level: ends bleached with Level 10 boxed color (with 3 to 4 inches of outgrowth)
Formula B (base): L’Oréal Professionnel LUO ½ tube 6.12 + ½ tube 5N + 9-volume developer
Formula C (toner): Redken Shades EQ 9V
1. Starting in the nape, apply Formula A, working horizontally from the mids to the ends using a balayage technique and placing in foils to process. Alternate between heavier slices and ¼-inch babylight weaves.
2. Continue applying Formula A globally around the head with this horizontal sectioning until you reach the crown. Process for 35 minutes.
3. Apply Formula B using a standard root touchup application technique, painting between the foils. Over-extend the base to give the color more of a blended effect. Process for 25 minutes.
4. Natasha chose to let the hair naturally lift with foils—putting her under the dryer for just 3 minutes. “She had a very pretty color on her ends to begin with, and we just wanted to enhance that color to a richer, white blonde,” she shares.
5. Tone at the shampoo bowl using Formula C. Process for 5 minutes.
6. Shampoo with Clairol Shimmer Lights Conditioning Shampoo twice to brighten and cut the warmth.
7. Natasha finished with a scalp massage and deep conditioned with the Saphira Mineral Mud Hair Mask Deep Conditioner Healing Treatment for 5 minutes. She then applied the Saphira THE ONE Leave on Hair Mask.
8. Blow-dry using a TIGI Pro Large Round Brush to create a soft, clean blowout.
Total chair time: 2.5 hours
Watch the full transformation below!