Clients Growing A Quarantine Beard? Here’s What They Need To Know!
Everything To Share With Clients Growing A Beard At Home
Are your male clients embracing their quarantine scruff? Just because they can’t come to the shop, doesn’t mean they don’t need your expertise. To help guide your male clientele in the right grooming direction, we had Victory Barber & Brand™ Founder Matty Conrad (@mattyconrad) break down the beard basics the men in your chair NEED to know. Scroll down for everything!
Beard Anatomy 101
Fun fact: Your client is probably staring in the mirror without a clue. Here are the beard basics Matty teaches his clients:
- Beard Interior: Thickness and length
- Beard Outline: Overall shape
Pro Tip: If it’s a client’s first time, tell them to let the hair grow for three to four weeks. The natural growth of the hair will determine the shape, so make sure they pay attention to any patchy and/or thicker areas.
The outline is determined by three lines:
1. Base Line: Generally speaking, this is the bottom part of the beard.
- Base Line Tip: A nice clean line from the corner of the jaw to the Adam’s apple will give the appearance of a strong jawline. And like Matty put it, “A strong jawline is the whole point of growing a beard.”
2. Top Line: The line that is directly on the skin from the corner of the sideburn to the corner of the lip.
- Top Line Tip: The top line should complement the face shape. For clients who have a fuller face, Matty suggests keeping the top line clean and straight to create a leaner appearance. For clients with a leaner face structure, the top line should be slightly rounded, giving the face a fuller look.
3. Lip Line: The line that sits above the lip but below the mustache.
- Lip Line Tip: To keep the mustache symmetrical to the beard, Matty advises using the trimmer at an angle to create a peak in the center of the mustache. Then, glide the trimmer down to create a soft angle from the center peak to the corner of the mouth.
Get The Right Tools AND Products
Growing a beard is one thing, keeping it healthy and well groomed is another. That’s why now is the ideal time to perfect an at-home beard care routine with the proper tools and products. Here’s what Matty recommends for at-home maintenance:
Any man growing out their beard should have these two tools on hand:
- Clippers: This tool is meant to remove a lot of hair at once, perfect for the interior.
- Trimmers: These have much finer teeth, great for cleaning lines close to the skin and detailing the outline.
When it comes to products, Matty shared one major piece of advice: DITCH THE BAR SOAP. “I always teach my clients this: What you wash your beard with directly reflects how healthy it is,” Matty explains. Bar soap can be drying to both the skin and facial hair, so he recommends Victory Barber & Brand WASH Hair & Beard Cleanser to all his clients. It’s made with natural conditioning oils and plant-based cleansers so there is no over-drying when cleansing.
Click here to purchase WASH from Victory Barber & Brand™!
When it comes to skincare, you’d never skip the moisturizer, right? Same goes for beards! Beard oils are great for moisturizing facial hair, but Matty warns his clients to avoid heavy oils, like avocado or almond oil, as well as perfume/fragrant oils. Instead, they should choose one with micro-fine and essential oils. “The Beard Oil from Victory Barber & Brand™ is made with jojoba and grapeseed oil, so it is light yet super moisturizing,” Matty explains. “Also, our beard oil uses essential oils for a fresh scent that isn’t overpowering.”
Click here to read more men’s grooming tips from Matty Conrad!
Victory Barber & Brand™
2023’s Top 9 Hair Trends For Men
This Year’s BIGGEST Products: 2022’s Most Talked About
Crash Course: 5 Tips You Need For Fall’s Hair Trends
Our Editors Picked THESE Must-Try Fall Hair Products
The BTC Show 2022: 10 Things We Saw
Breaking News: 2022 #ONESHOT Hair Awards Winners
5 Genius Blonding, Color + Cutting Cheats To Try Now
The “Wet Mop” Is TikTok’s Biggest Men’s Haircut Trend
The Hottest Men’s Hair Trends For Winter 2021
Victory Barber & Brand At #THEBTCSHOW 2021
Connection Center at #thebtcshow 2021
8 Beard Mistakes You (And Your Clients) Are Making
Dry Grooming Cream
Grooming Glossary: Simple Terms For Teaching Male Clients To Style At-Home
10 Salon Business Tips To Read Before 2021
A Holiday Gift Guide To Shopping For Hairdressers
4 Blow Drying Tips To Teach Male Clients
Skin Fades: 3 Things To Definitely Do
Men’s Grooming: 4 Steps For Giving Clients A Complete Transformation
Men’s Cutting: 3 Techniques For Better Blends
4 Tips For Taking Better Photos
4 Merchandising Tips For Boosting Retail Revenue