Balayage + Beachy Waves How-To
Ahh, the start of summer—that time of year when all your clients are just itching for a tress tune-up. It’s when they’re most open to a new color technique, most willing to chop off some length and most eager for a total transformation.
Well here at BTC, we know it’s the most wonderful time of the year, which is why we’re always on the lookout for the coolest, trendiest cuts and colors of the season—like this beachy balayage blend from stylist Jenn Malone (@jmalonehair) at Ricciolo Salon in La Verne, Calif.
Jenn created this low-maintenance color for her client who is a nurse and mother of two. “My goal was to give her a lived-in look that doesn’t require a lot of maintenance, but looks ultra sexy!” says Jenn. “This particular color will last her months, as she will only need to touch up her gray hair.”
P.S. Jen entered this shot in two categories (hair painting and ombré) of BTC’s #ONESHOT Hair Awards contest. Below, Jenn shares the color formula for her gorgeous entry!
Formula A (regrowth): 5.00 + 5.19 Keune Tinta Color + 20-volume developer
Formula B (midlengths): Keune Magic Blonde Bleach + 20-volume developer + b3 Brazilian Bond Builder
Formula C (ends): Keune Magic Blonde Bleach +10-volume developer + b3 Brazilian Bond Builder
Formula D (toner): Redken Shades EQ 9P + processing solution
1. Retouch the roots using Formula A to cover gray.
2. Starting at the nape, balayage up through the occipital bone, using Formula B on the midlengths and Formula C on the ends. Jenn used foils instead of plastic wrap while balayaging to create heat in order to break through her previous color.
3. Balayage the crown and layers around the face, and paint baby lights to brighten the hairline. After working through her entire head, paint single strands that were left outside the foils with Formula B.
4. Process for 45 minutes at room temperature.
5. Shampoo with Unite 7SECONDS Shampoo, and towel-dry.
6. Saturate the entire head with Formula D, and process for 15 minutes.
7. Condition with Unite 7SECONDS Conditioner.
8. Style using Unite 7SECONDS Leave In Detangler and Unite U Argan Oil before blow-drying. To create her client’s beachy waves, Jenn used a 1 ¼-inch iron and finished her off with Unite TEXTURIZA Spray.
Total Pricing: $150