5 Marketing Mistakes You’re Making And How To Fix Them
New year, same marketing campaigns? No way. Here are five marketing mistakes you might be making, and five ways to fix them so your salon can continue to attract new clients, retain current clients, and of course, increase your bottom line.
You’re Not Organized Enough
Creating a new marketing plan? Give yourself plenty of time to plan, implement and adjust your strategy when needed. Here are five questions to ask before starting:
- How will this campaign support your overall marketing plan?
- What are you hoping to achieve with this campaign?
- How will you measure success?
- What is the budget for this campaign?
- Which communication channels (social, email, etc.) will you use?
Looking for inspiration? If you need help finding the best days of the year to plan promotions and maximize sales, download Millennium S.I.’s free 2018 salon and spa marketing calendar, which will give you an action plan for the entire year.
You’re Not Being As Creative As You Think
Shy away from typical marketing tactics. Instead, give your salon a voice—engage in issues consumers care about such as organic products, sustainable ingredients, skin cancer prevention, animal cruelty and more. Try these:
- Blogging—write about specific products or trends that your clients care about, then add it to your email blasts.
- Case studies—ask a client to start using a product and track the results (like a hydrating hair repair mask). You can then use the before and after to help promote your retail as well as your services.
- Videos—create videos speaking to the benefits of products you sell. (See more on the benefits of using videos below.)
You’re Not Personalizing Your Content
Make your clients feel special—use their name in your messages or create content that’s specific to different demographics.
Think about it: A busy mother of three is not going to have the same desires as a 20-something millennial. Take the time to divide your clients into different “personas” based on what they need from your business, then use segmented marketing to connect with them.
You’re Not Using Video To Your Advantage
Videos are not a new medium, but mobile devices have changed the marketing game—and 2018 should be the year of video content. Here’s why:
- 90% of users say product videos are helpful when making decisions.
- Social video generates 1200% more shares than text and images combined.
- By 2019, online video traffic will account for 80% of all consumer Internet traffic.
You’re Not Marketing For Mobile
Do you send promotions via SMS? Are your e-blasts mobile-friendly? Is your website optimized for mobile devices? If the answer is no to any of the previous questions, here are some statistics to consider:
- 75% of customers prefer offers delivered via SMS.
- Customers are 10x more likely to use mobile coupons.
- Mobile email opens have grown by 180% in the last three years.
- 57% of users say they won’t recommend a business with a poorly-designed mobile site.
- According to Google, 61% of users are unlikely to return to a mobile site they had trouble accessing and 40% visit a competitor’s site instead.
- 88% of consumers who search for a type of local business on a mobile device call or go to that business within 24 hours.
By shifting your marketing strategies and becoming part of a social conversation, you and your salon build added trust with your clients. Building trust helps foster an army of loyal clients who are willing to spend more money, try new services, as well as promote your business to peers.
Millennium Systems International
How To Increase Salon Business: 6 Realistic Goals
Client Consultations: 9 Questions That Cover Everything
How To Hire The Right Salon Staff
4 Mistakes To Avoid On Instagram
5 Tech Upgrades To Better Your Salon In 2018
4 Solutions To Salon Owner Problems
8 Promotional Ideas for Small Business Saturday
Sam Villa Set To Headline The Millennium Experience Hair Show 2018
10 Brand-Building Ideas
SALON OWNERS: Are You Losing Clients? This Could Be Why
Salon Owners: Are You Using Instagram Correctly?
3 Strategies That’ll Earn You More Money
5 Inspirational Mantras That Will Take Your Business To The Next Level
Six Indicators To Monitor Your Salon’s Growth
Martino Cartier Announced as the Official Emcee for The Millennium Experience
3 Front Desk Tasks You Could Be Forgetting
4 Salon Management Areas You Can’t Overlook
Millennium Systems Partners With Textel
3 Things You Can Right Now To Be A Kick-Ass Leader
The Millennium Experience is Now Open to All Industry Professionals
Millennium Launches New “Academy” Workshops
Business Expertise from the Millennium Experience 2015
CHI Students Perform at Millennium
4 Tips To Keep Your Staff Motivated Through Summer