Global Investment Firm Purchases 60% Stake In Coty Pro
Global Investment Firm KKR Invests 60% Stake In Coty Pro
A global investment firm has purchased a majority stake in Coty Professional Beauty and Retail Hair business. The agreement covers the full portfolio of professional brands in North America—Wella Professionals, OPI, ghd, Clairol Professional, Wella Color Charm, Sebastian Professional, Nioxin and Kadus—as well as the Clairol retail brand.
The global investment firm, KKR, and Coty Inc. signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and announced the news on May 11, 2020. Under the terms of the MOU, Coty will carve out “Wella” and its portfolio of professional brands into a standalone company in which KKR will acquire a 60 percent stake and Coty will retain the remaining 40 percent interest. Coty’s mass beauty business in Brazil will remain a fully owned business of Coty.
“We are thrilled with this announcement. KKR is one of the world’s preeminent investment firms with an exemplary track record of value creation,” said Sylvie Moreau, President of Coty Professional Beauty. “As a market leader with one of the strongest portfolios of brands in the professional beauty market, we believe this partnership opens up a new set of opportunities for ‘Wella,’ our people, and our brands.”
KKR is a pioneer of the global private equity model, with over 43 years of investment experience. The firm has a long track record of investing in branded consumer businesses, including the beauty sector. Its portfolio includes 109 companies with over $157 billion in annual revenues and employing more than 637,500 people. With a global footprint on all continents and extensive local networks, KKR has a proven ability to support global businesses.
“We are excited to form this partnership to invest in Coty to support it through this period of unprecedented global uncertainty and allow it to emerge as a stronger, more agile business, and to acquire a majority stake in Wella, a market leader with a strong portfolio of brands in the attractive professional hair market where we see significant opportunities to accelerate growth in partnership with its experienced leadership team,” Johannes Huth, Partner and Head of KKR EMEA, said. “We look forward to working towards the establishment of a lasting and value-creating strategic partnership.”
“In this year where Wella Professionals is turning 140 years old, I am proud and inspired at the prospect of Wella operating again as a standalone company. Partnering with KKR will propel our people and our brands into a bright and successful new future,” said Sylvie.
“This announcement represents a great milestone for our Wella North America organization. We are confident this partnership will bring new opportunities. In the meantime, we remain fully committed to supporting our customers and our industry as it bounces back from the COVID-19 crisis,” added Coty Professional North America President Sennen Pamich.
KKR is expected to own 60 percent of “Wella” and Coty 40 percent, subject only to completion of limited confirmatory due diligence and execution of definitive documentation. The agreement is expected to be signed by the end of May.
Coty acquired the Professional Beauty and Retail Hair brands in 2016 from Procter & Gamble.
Newly Formed Wella Company Names New CEO
Coty Professional Beauty Announces $200K Fund To Support Stylists
Coty Professional Beauty’s 2020 Beauty Envision Awards Open for Entries
BREAKING NEWS: 2019 Coty Beauty Envision Awards Winners Announced!
Breaking News: Coty Professional Beauty Announces Executive Leadership Changes
Three Major Product Launches From The Coty House of Beauty
Girl Boss Sylvie Moreau, President Of Coty Professional Beauty, Shares 10 Secrets To Being A Great Leader
Coty Professional Partners with Salon International and Alternative Hair Show
BREAKING NEWS! Coty Agrees To Acquire ghd
BREAKING NEWS: Sal Mauceri Will Lead Coty Professional Beauty Division in North America
BREAKING NEWS: Coty Appoints President of the Wella and OPI Businesses
BREAKING NEWS! Coty to Acquire Wella Professionals and Other P&G Pro Brands