How-To: Silver Shadow Pony
Edgy, silver shade with a smoky shadow root? Check. Chic, messy pony? Check. This look, courtesy of Kristina Dunn (@hairbykristinamarie) of Raven & Sage Salon in San Diego, pretty much has it all—so we had to know Kristina’s secrets! Here, she shares how she went from an ashy, Level 4 to a silver/gray goddess. All in a day’s work.
Total process time: 3 to 4 hours.
Total price: Kristina charges $100/hour for corrective color services.
Who Did It
1. Starting in the back, working from bottom to top, apply Formula A from the line of demarcation, being extremely cautious to not overlap previously-lightened hair. Sweep toward the roots, leaving 1 inch of natural roots. Be sure the hair is fully saturated, cover with foil and repeat using ½-inch subsections, then move to the front and do the same. Lift to a very pale yellow.
2. Shampoo with Joico Color Endure Violet Sulfate-Free Shampoo, and leave on hair for 4 to 5 minutes. This will help tone the last bit of pale yellow still in hair, which Kristina notes is the most important step in the process.
3. Rinse, and apply Formula B. Process for 1 to 5 minutes, watching closely.
4. Rinse, thoroughly towel-dry the hair, then apply Olaplex No.3 and leave on for 30 minutes.
5. Rinse, shampoo, condition, dry and curl with a 1 ¼-inch curling iron to create loose waves. Use Sebastian Dry Clean Only as a volumizer at the crown.
6. Create the ponytail by sectioning out the front of the hair and pulling the rest up into a high ponytail, pinching and pulling the hair in the crown area to create volume.