Texting Clients: The Business Tool You Didn’t Know You Needed
Texting Clients: Tips + Tricks For Growing Your Business
The numbers don’t lie: over 80 percent of people open every text they get, according to SHIFT. So if you aren’t texting clients about everything your salon has to offer—your business could be missing out! Keep scrolling to read why you should be using text messages to communicate with clients, six dos and dont’s you need to know and some sample client texts to get you started!
3 Reasons Why You Should Be Texting Your Clients
Over 90 percent of adults in the U.S. have a cellphone and over 60 percent of them check their phones over 100 times a day, (us included!) according to a study done by PEW Research Center. Need another reason to start texting? Here’s THREE:
- It’s easy. No need to stress about designed emails or newsletters—just a simple text, something everyone does every day.
- It is engaging. Whether you’re building a relationship with a new client or keeping a long-time client in the know, texting can ensure they get the message. How? When clients are expecting a text from you they are more likely to open the message AND respond, according to GlossGenius.
- It’s inexpensive. Other than word of mouth, texting is one of the cheapest ways to build your business.
View this post on Instagram
6 Dos and Don’ts To Know Before Hitting Send
1. Don’t be a stranger. Have you ever received a text and thought, “Who is this?” Automated texts use shortcode aka a five-digit phone number, so make sure your first text includes an introduction. Let the client know who you are and why you are reaching out.
2. Don’t write a paragraph. Keep messages short, sweet and to the point! Remember, SMS messaging is limited to 160 characters so only share what the client needs to know!
Check out this example from GlossGenius:
“Hello it’s Revive Salon and Day Spa! This is a reminder of your appointment on 9/15 at 10:30am. Click this link to RSVP. See you soon!”
3. Do stand out with emojis. 77 percent of customers prefer learning about promotions via text, according to a Salesforce report. So get creative with emojis to get clients excited and show off your salon’s personality.
Here’s an example:
✨ FREE ADD-ON SERVICE ✨ Treat yourself! Book a haircut now & receive a complimentary treatment 💇♀️
4. Do save time with auto-reminders. You’re hustling all day behind the chair, so texting every client an appointment reminder can take up precious time (like lunchtime!) With an SMS campaign, you set up automatic reminders to let clients know you’ll see them soon. Don’t worry, they love to see it: ZipWhip found that over 60 percent of clients find appointment reminders via text helpful.
5. Do set up automatic replies. Did you know that GlossGenius’s online booking app allows you to set keywords for automatic replies? For example, if “reschedule” is set as a keyword and a client texts “How do I reschedule my appointment?” Your software can automatically reply with “Hi! If you would like to reschedule your appointment at Revive Salon and Day Spa, click here!” This will save you the time and stress of rescheduling.
6. Do make it personal! Use personalization options to have a client’s first name appear in the text. If you haven’t seen them in awhile, send them a message letting them know you’re thinking of them.