Michael Keaton’s Hairstylist Dishes on the Men on Oscar’s Red Carpet
Men’s grooming specialist Diana Schmidtke had an important client on Oscar Day. Academy Award Nominee Michael Keaton requested her services for one of the most important events of his life—the 2015 Academy Awards, which saw him nominated for the distinction of Best Actor.
“It was an honor,” says Diana. “Michael Keaton is a legend. This was a treat on a personal level.” Diana reveals that she started by giving the actor a close crop using a shear-over-comb technique. “Michael has a short, salt and pepper crop,” says Diana, “so the lines have to be smooth so you don’t see ‘steps’ in the hair. That means your shear-over-comb has to be on point. Use thinning shears to blend the fuller and thinner sections. You have to clean up the neckline, around the ears. This is the most glamorous evening in Hollywood so your cut has to be on point!”
To finish the look, Diana used American Crew Boost Powder, which she calls an anti-gravity volume powder that adds lift and thickness to the hair. “It’s cutting edge,” she says. I use it on dry hair and it expands and creates interesting texture. You can use it on men or women.”
Next, she reached for American Crew Fiber, a high hold, low shine product that helps thicken, texturize and increase fullness of the hair. She applied a nickel-sized amount, working it in from front to back and back to front to ensure complete and even distribution. “This product is not too shiny where it would be distracting, but not super matte so it doesn’t read flat,” Diana explains, “which makes it perfect for the red carpet. If the hair is thinning, avoid heavy gels or pomades because they’re shiny, which isn’t a good idea under the lights on the red carpet, and they clump, which will expose too much of the scalp.”
As far as the rest of the guys on the Oscar red carpet are concerned, Diana noticed a strong, “no beard” trend. “Chris Evans had a great, groomed beard,” she says, but basically it was buh-bye beards!” Among her clean-shaven favorites:
Best Actor Eddie Redmayne
“Eddie has gorgeous naturally wavy and thick hair. He looks great and is a perfect example of how to work with your natural curly hair and texture.”
1. Start with fresh clean hair by shampooing with American Crew Daily Shampoo.
2. Encourage the natural texture by allowing the hair to air dry.
3. Once hair is completely dry, use a dime-size amount of American Crew Liquid Wax. Rub it between your fingertips and your palms, and once it is evenly distributed apply it from front to back, back to front. American Crew Liquid Wax helps define curls, and has the perfect amount of hold to them in place all night.
“Bradley has longer hair right now, so for a longer-haired red carpet look it’s always a great idea to push your hair back and away from your face.”
1. Start with clean, shampooed hair. While the hair is damp, apply a quarter-size amount of American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel and distribute evenly.
2. Lightly comb hair, keeping volume on top, but the sides slicked back.
“Benedict went with a very classic and groomed look. It’s perfect. I like that the part is not obvious, but gentle, and looks like he just ran his hands through his hair.”
1. On wet hair, apply American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel for ultimate hold and shine.
2. Blow-dry by flat wrapping hair using a Denman Brush, blow-drying hair from left to right, right to left.
3. Once the hair is dry, if texture still exists, use a flat iron and take random sections to smooth out all hair.
4. Apply a quarter-size amount of American Crew Pomade, warming it up in your hands and applying it to hair from front to back. American Crew Pomade will allow you to create a high shine look paired with American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel’s long-lasting power.