How-To: Metallic Sunset
How-To: Metallic Sunset
Parlour e.lev.en Salon stylist Tamira Mae Granneman (@tamiramae) knows how to paint with all the colors of the wind. For her most recent creation—a beautifully executed, sunset-inspired medley of metallic tones—Tamira blended shades of violet, bronze, sapphire, mauve quartz and pewter to achieve a stunning finished look that left our members dying to know how she did it. Here’s Tamira’s formula, how-to and pricing!
Formula A: equal parts Redken Shades EQ 9V + 8V
Formula C (midlengths): Joico Color Intensity Metallic Muse Mauve Quartz
Formula D (ends): Joico Color Intensity Metallic Muse Bronze
Formula E (ends): Joico Color Intensity Metallic Muse Pewter
1. Shampoo the hair twice with R+Co Oblivion Clarifying Shampoo.
2. In an applicator bottle, mix a Malibu C Crystal Gel packet with 2 oz. of warm water, following directions, and apply to shampooed hair from roots to tips. Clip hair up in a processing cap and process for 30 minutes for moderate buildup. “Malibu Crystal Gel helps to remove any buildup in the hair that may cause problems with color processing (hard water minerals, product, medication etc..),” notes Tamira. “Since Joico Color Intensity colors are semi-permanent, it’s best to make sure the hair is clean and free from any buildup that may prevent the color from adhering evenly to the hair.”
3. After 30 minutes, shampoo with clarifying shampoo. Lightly condition with b3 Brazilian Bond Builder Conditioner.
4. Tone at the bowl with Formula A. Lightly shampoo and condition, then dry.
5. Part the hair down the center and then into four quadrants. Starting in the back, at the nape, take steep diagonal forward sections up to the occipital bone. Apply Formula B at the base and melt Formula C into the midlengths and ends.
6. Continue diagonal forward sections from the occipital bone upward. Melt Formulas B, C and D together on strands, alternating Formulas B and C (same as the nape) until the back two quadrants are finished.
7. Moving to the two front quadrants, take diagonal forward partings from the apex to the hairline. Melt Formulas B, C and D together on strands, alternating Formulas B and C until you reach halfway to the hairline. Begin to melt Formulas B, C and D together, alternating with Formulas B, C and E. Process for 45 minutes.
8. Rinse hair with cold water. Do not shampoo. Condition with b3 Brazilian Bond Builder Restore & Protect Reconstructor.
9. Apply R+Co Dallas Thickening Spray generously throughout the hair. Next, apply R+Co High Dive and Oribe Gel Sèrum. Blow-dry with a round brush.
10. Curl the hair with the 1-inch Bombshell Curling Rod by Sultra, leaving the ends loose. Spray hair at the roots and midlengths with Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray. Finish with R+Co Outer Space and Oribe Shine Light Reflecting Spray.
Balayage/highlights and toner: $175
Malibu C Crystal Gel and deep conditioning treatment: $65
All-over specialty color (on short/medium length hair): $135