How To Customize Blow-Dries For Every Client
Why You Should Customize Blow-Dries Based On Client
We get it. You’re trying to get clients in and out of your chair all day, so you’re blasting them with the blow dryer and sending them on their way. Here’s the thing, though—you could be causing damage to their hair, which totally negates all the hard work you put into their service! Learn how to customize blow-dries based on hair type to keep every client’s hair at her healthiest.
“I always had my hair dryer on the highest speed, highest heat for every client because I thought that would help me get my job done faster,” says Todd Tinnel (@toddtinnel), National Education Manager for Dyson Personal Care. “That’s because I was using a tool that relies on evaporation of water with heat and not a strong airflow.” The first thing that changed Todd’s blowout game? The Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Professional Edition.
Why you should customize blow-dries
“With the Supersonic, even though it looks like a blow dryer, it is a different tool,” Todd says. “The technology is designed specifically to allow hairdressers to truly own the best quality for their clients. They trust us and it’s important for us to customize.” Think of it this way—you’re customizing the color formulations, cutting angles and styling products for your client, so why not customize the blow-dry? “Now we have a precision tool that helps us do that,” Todd says.
If her hair is thick and coarse…
This type of hair requires manipulation with heat and air to achieve long-lasting smoothness.
- Start with the Supersonic Pro dryer at high speed and high heat to knock out moisture quickly, using the Smoothing Nozzle.
- Switch to the Pro Concentrator Nozzle for brushwork and reduce the airflow to medium.
- Finish with the cold shot button to lock in the style.
If her hair is very curly and you want to blow it straight…
Very curly hair runs the risk of developing frizz. Here’s Todd’s technique to avoid it:
- Start with the airflow setting at low to medium. “The more air you start blowing into the hair, the more it starts to get frizzy,” he says.
- Depending on how much curl you need to manipulate, go for medium to high heat.
- Begin with the Pro Concentrator Nozzle and start the brushwork right away. “There’s no sense in doing a pre-dry because you fight your own frizz,” Todd says.
If the hair is very curly and you want to define the curls…
This is the time for the diffuser attachment! “It’s designed to create a really effective and even airflow throughout the diffuser bowl, so it still dries very quickly, even on the lowest heat setting,” Todd says.
- Use a low airflow to avoid blowing curls around (or you’ll get frizz!).
- Adjust the heat setting depending on the hair type—use lower heat for fine curls and higher heat for very coarse curls.
If her hair is fine but dense…
“On finer hair, you don’t need a lot of heat. When you put that Pro Concentrator Nozzle on there, it creates a concentrated jet of hair, and the air does the work for you,” Todd says.
- Start with medium heat and medium speed to pre-dry.
- Switch to low heat and low speed for brushwork using the Pro Concentrator Nozzle.
If the hair is heavily lightened…
The key here is preventing additional damage, Todd says. “Because of the way the dryer’s airflow is designed, you don’t need a lot of heat to evaporate water out of the hair—you’re using air to push water out instead.”
- Use the lowest airflow setting you can (don’t go over medium).
- Use low heat unless you really need to manipulate the texture.
The Best Hair Product Launches Of Fall 2023
The Biggest Haircut Trends of Fall & Winter 2023
The ’90s Bob: How To Cut & Style Fall’s Biggest Trend
These September Hair Launches Will Cure Your Post-Summer Blues
These Are The Hottest Hair Launches To Close Out Summer 2023
The Flyaway Smoother, Supersonic 2-In-1 Attachment
Met Gala 2023: The Hottest Hair & Beauty Looks
KARLIE KLOSS’ SLICKED-BACK PONYTAIL AT THE 2023 MET GALA
KIM KARDASHIAN’S WISPY UPDO AT THE 2023 MET GALA
2023 Hairstyling: 11 Trends You Need To Know
Golden Globes 2023: The Best Celebrity Hair Looks
Dyson Airwrap™ Multi-Styler
The Best Hair & Beauty Looks From The Oscars 2022
2022 SAG Awards: The Best Celebrity Hair + Beauty Looks
8 Hair & Nail Trends From NYFW Fall/Winter 2022
MONTHLY LAUNCH LIST: HOLIDAY 2021
Met Gala 2021: See The Best Celebrity Hair & Beauty Looks!
Olivia Rodrigo’s Sleek Twisted Knots
Amandla Stenberg’s Durag-Inspired Braids
7 Trending Beauty Looks From NYFW Spring/Summer 2022
The Best Hair & Beauty Looks From Haute Couture Fashion Week 2021
10 Ways To Service Your Textured Clients
The Best Hair & Beauty Moments From The Oscars 2021