How-To: Color Contouring
A tousled, wavy bob with trendy hair-painted pops that perfectly contour her features is the ultimate moneymaker. This is the hair she sees on off-duty models, celebs and Instagram stars—so give it to her! Get the how-to!
This technique uses Clairol Professional’s new Color Serum, which you can use with any Liquicolor Permanente formula to strengthen the hair and add shine while maintaining the same great color results.
Clairol Professional Color Formulas
Formula A: 2 oz. Liquicolor Permanente 6NN + 2 oz. Pure White 20-volume developer + 1 oz. Color Serum
Formula B: 2 oz. Liquicolor Permanente 8NN + 2 oz. Pure White 20-volume developer + 1 oz. Color Serum
Formula C: 2 oz. Liquicolor Permanente 8A + 2 oz. Pure White 10-volume developer + 1 oz. Color Serum
1. Create a diagonal section 1 inch above the ear. Use a freehand painting technique to apply Formula A. Then, skip a ½-inch diagonal section and apply Formula B.
2. Continue working around the head, skipping ½ inch between each section. Alternate between Formulas A and B, using Formula A in the areas you want to add more depth and contouring and Formula B in the areas you want to highlight. Make sure to take a step back and determine if there are any other areas that need contouring or highlighting before you are finished. Process for 20 to 30 minutes without heat. If the hair is porous, do a strand test after 15 minutes. Shampoo and condition with iThrive Color Vibrancy.
3. Use a bottle to quickly apply Formula C from roots to ends. Process for 10 minutes without heat.
4. Shampoo and condition with iThrive Color Vibrancy to prevent fading and shifting of haircolor. Use a wide-tooth comb to evenly distribute the conditioner.
5. After blow-drying with iThrive Split End Repair, use a 1-inch curling iron to create loose texture. Take ½-inch to 1-inch vertical sections throughout the head, making sure not to fully close the iron and to leave out the ends to create a more natural-looking texture. Finish the look with iThrive Weather Resistant Hairspray.
Watch the whole process!