Color That’s Breaking The Internet: Metallics
Has there ever, in all of hair history, been a better time to be a colorist? So many amazing shades at your disposal. So many special effects, so many techniques. And best of all—how about those clients? Never before have the customers sitting in your chair been so enthusiastic about creative colors like daffodil and cotton candy and Kelly green. From eight to 80, they’re open to everything, eagerly swiping through their personal haircolor inspiration collections, pointing to this amethyst shade and that peach and blue color melt, imploring you, “Can we do that on my hair?”
Credit social media for this explosion of color creativity, and because of that, keep a close eye on your feeds. Social media is where trends take hold, which means you have to pay attention. Because when the swiping stops on the latest “It” color technique, you’ll be asked to deliver. Here, we’ve gathered the hottest trends with huge “likes” to bring you up to speed!
By Kim Pham (@kimwasabi)
Kenra Professional Color Formulas
Formula A: Rapid Toner 1 oz. SV + 1 oz. VP + 4 oz. 9-volume Demi-Permanent Coloring Creme Activator
Formula B: 2 oz. 8SM + ½ oz. 8VM + 2 dots 6A + ½ oz. Blue Booster + 9-volume Demi-Permanent Coloring Creme Activator
1. Apply Formula A at the shampoo bowl to Level 9, prelightened, damp hair and process for 5 minutes. Shampoo and blow-dry.
2. Apply Formula B to the root area, feathering the formula down about 3 inches.
By Rossa Jurenas (@rossajurenas)
Schwarzkopf Professional North American Color Director
“Metallics have become a color phenomenon! From smoky silvers to dusty pinks and opaque blues, brights and pastels are evolving into metallics. Above all, metallics are about shine,” says Rossa.
Schwarzkopf Professional Color Formulas
Formula A (prelighten): IGORA Vario Blonde Plus + IGORA ROYAL Oil Developer 3%/10-volume developer
Formula C (face-frame babylights): IGORA Royal Absolutes SilverWhite Silver + IGORA ROYAL Oil Developer 3%/10-volume developer
Formula D: IGORA ROYAL Absolutes SilverWhite Dove Grey + IGORA ROYAL Oil Developer 3%/10-volume developer
1. Prelighten all strands with Formula A, process for 60 minutes and remove.
2. Apply Formula B to regrowth and create babylights around the face for texture and movement with Formula C.
3. Apply Formula D to remaining strands, and process for 30 minutes.
Who Did It:
hair styling/photography: Damien Carney, Schwarzkopf North American Creative Director
makeup: Maureen Walsh
styling: Mia Tucker
By Isaac Roberts (@isaac4mayor)
Formula A (toner): Kenra Demi-Permanent 7SM + 9-volume developer
Formual C (color melt/midshafts): Joico Color Intensity Titanium
Formula D (color melt/ends): Joico Color Intensity Amethyst Purple + Black Pearl
1. Tone all prelightened hair with Formula A. Dry the hair and apply Formula B to the base.
2. Apply Formula C to the midlengths and Formula D to ends on slices throughout the head.