6 Of Our Fave Edgy Looks From the Met Gala
This year’s Met Gala theme was Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology, so is it any wonder things got super edgy at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC? We’re talking bondage-esque leather sandals, ‘80s-inspired cutout dresses, a whole lotta dark lipstick and some pretty kick-ass hair to match. Here were some of our favorite looks.
Hair by Adir Abergel for Pai-Shau
Adir created a bold, futuristic style inspired by the dramatic black-silver Chanel dress Kristen wore, shaded with memories of his first encounter with the edgy technology of the late ’80s. The look was raw and deconstructed—her platinum strands with contrasting silver/gray roots had a smoothed, glossed-out swirl of top hair and were accented by textured knots and a defined side braid. Punk hacker-chic? Yes, please.
1. Start with Pai-Shau Biphasic Infusion for a smooth, weightless foundation. “It primed and hydrated her just-bleached hair so the texture was smooth, shiny and frizz-free,” says Adir. “It was almost like virgin hair, so it was easier to style.”
2. Use Pai-Shau Royal Abundance Mousse to give body and create soft structure. Work it from root to midlengths, then blow-dry using a diffuser to lock in a deconstructed texture.
3. Once the hair is dry, take the top sections of the hair and begin creating knotted twists. Secure with hairpins.
4. Continue all the way around the head, and then make a tight divided braid across the side of the head to define and anchor the look.
5. Finish with a weightless spray of Pai-Shau Sublime Hold Hairspray for flexible hold and all-night memory.
Celebrity Hairstylist, Akki Shirakawa
Graphic, futuristic and striking, Miranda’s sleek updo fully embodied the theme of the night. Accompanied by a deep berry lip and a colorful Louis Vuitton crop top, Miranda looked straight outta the future. Mission accomplished!
1. To start, apply ghd Advanced Split End Therapy at the ends, then evenly apply ghd Total Volume Foam from root to tip to give texture to the hair. Create a center part and dry with the ghd airELITE hairdryer.
2. To remove frizz, use the ghd platinum styler from the midlengths of the hair to the tip. Start from the top of the forehead and work down. Then create a thin braid, about 1-inch wide, running it along either side of the head to frame the face.
3. Next, come and slick down the rest of the hair, following the contour of the braid. Tie the braids together with a skinny leather strap, meeting at the lowest part of the neck. To intensify shine and complete the look, distribute ghd Smooth & Finish Serum evenly over the surface.
Hair by Frederic Aspiras for Matrix
Courtesy of TheOnly.Agency
The QUEEN of modern-day Avante-Garde red carpet fashion NEVER disappoints. That sky-high ’80s hair inspired by a futuristic metal pop-princess Gaga? Gorgeous! Frederic Aspiras definitely delivered by giving a more vintage twist to her futuristic style.
1. Start first by shampooing with Matrix Total Results Rock It Texture Shampoo follow by Rock It Texture Conditioner—this primes hair for texture in the end result.
2. Towel-dry well and spray Total Results-Moisture Cure to comb out and detangle hair. Apply Total Results High Amplify Foam Volumizer to entire head and then section hair for blow-drying.
3. Starting at the nape, apply Total Results Wonder Boost to the roots of the hair. Do this step to every section of the hair as you’re drying.
4. Using a curing tong, curl a few loose waves throughout the hair.
5 Next apply Style Link Mineral Rough Me Up Salt Infused Spray for additional texture and touchable waves. Tousle and twist as you spray.
6. Finish with Total Results High Amplify Hairspray to hold the height, and for a lasting style that is soft and touchable.
Hair by MIZANI Global Artistic Director Cesar Ramirez
Last night, it seemed like everyone was talking about Ciara’s sexy, silver hair—a futuristic take on retro finger waves. “For Ciara’s, look I really wanted to play up the futuristic theme of ‘Manus x Machina,’ while still keeping a soft and sexy feel,” shares Cesar. “Ciara’s look is a silver metallic finger wave swept back, coiled and twisted and adorned with artistic arrangement of pins. The Met Gala is a time to really push limits and I usually begin conceptualizing as soon as the theme is released.”
1. Prep the hair with with Mizani True Textures Style Refresher Milk, then dry.
2. Iron-curl and set the hair in pin clips. Allow your set to cool before removing the clips. Brush everything with Mizani HRM Spray to begin the dry finger waves.
3. Sculpt each wave into a classic shape and secure with multiple bobby pins. For the back section, take each set curl and bobby pin while coiling—think a retro pin curl set with a futuristic arrangement!
New day, new Tay! The “Shake It Off” songstress shakes it up with a platinum bob and daring silver dress. Love!
Not one to play by the fashion rules, style chameleon Zendaya works it with her Beatle-chic bowl cut and gold-studded glam! What do you think? Sleek or weak?
9 Celebrity Hair How-Tos From The 2020 Golden Globes
Saoirse Ronan’s Retro Blowout
Kristen Stewart’s Tousled Texture
Short Hair Trend: Cutting, Coloring and Styling Cropped Cuts
Christina Applegate’s Deep Side Part + Cascading Waves
CELEBRITY PANEL AT #THEBTCSHOW 2019
#THEBTCSHOW 2019: DAY 2
Virtue® At #THEBTCSHOW 2019
#THEBTCSHOW 2019: Day 1
These 6 Iconic Celebrity Hairdressers Are Coming To THE BTC SHOW
5 Tips To Up Your Accessory Game
7 Met Gala Hair & Beauty Trends To Follow ASAP
Kristen Stewart’s Bowie-Inspired Met Gala Look
Charlize Theron’s Blunt Bangs
Charlize Theron’s Asymmetrical Brunette Bob
10 Celebrity Hair How-Tos From The 2019 Golden Globes
Charlize Theron’s Side-Swept Satin Lob
9 Blowout Tips You Need In The New Year
7 Tips To Success From Your Favorite Celebrity Stylists
4 Curl Set Tips From Celeb Stylist Adir Abergel
Celebrity Panel at #THEBTCSHOW 2018
All The Coolest Hair (And Headpiece, And Crown) Looks From The 2018 Met Gala
Stella Maxwell’s Super Long Locks
Anne Hathaway’s Minimal French Twist