6 Classic Looks from the 2016 Emmys
Classic. That’s the word that best sums up the hair at the 2016 Emmy Awards. It seems retro was all the rage for many celebs this year, with the stars opting for a simple style that drew inspiration from their lavish designer gowns. From retro waves to classic updos, celebrity hairstylists covered them all. Here’s how you can achieve six classic styles from the Emmys!
Renato Campora styled Kirsten’s golden locks into an updated finger wave, drawing inspiration from the Fargo star’s dress. “I was inspired by Kirsten’s gorgeous Givenchy dress, so we decided to style her hair in a ’50s-inspired finger wave. Kirsten is such a timeless beauty, so this look was a perfect nod to Old Hollywood glamour, while still remaining fresh and accessible for the modern woman,” says Renato.
1. Prep the hair by spraying Kenra Professional Platinum Blow Dry Spray throughout, then add a dollop of Kenra Platinum Thickening Mousse.
2. Part the hair into a deep side part and start to dry it with a fine-tooth comb to keep the hair soft and light.
3. Add Kenra Platinum Thickening Spray to the ends of the hair and continue to blow-dry until the hair is completely dry.
4. Before setting the hair using a medium-sized barrel curling iron, distribute Kenra Platinum Revive Oil throughout the hair to smooth strands, add shine and protect against high heat from the iron.
5. Once the hair is set and cooled, take it down and brush it out into a modern wave pattern.
6. Finish the look by liberally spraying Kenra Platinum Finishing Spray all over to lock the hair in place and ensure strands can resist any weather, including red carpet humidity.
Aviva Perea used Matrix products to give Ariel a sleek and shiny bun. “Ariel wore a gorgeous statuesque gown, so we wanted to keep the hair and makeup shiny and minimal,” says Aviva. “I really wanted to make sure that her hair was super shiny to work with the shininess of the dress. I also wanted to make sure the chignon stayed in place for 12 hours to last through the parties, so the products I used were VERY important.”
1. Start with clean, wet hair, and apply a healthy dose of Matrix Style Link Blowout Skinny Queen from the roots to the ends to create a perfect base and help control flyaways. Dry hair smooth with a large round brush.
2. Spray Matrix Style Link Heat Buffer Thermal Styling Spray from the midshaft to the ends and run a flat iron through the hair. NOTE: The Heat Buffer protects the hair from heat damage and the iron activates the shine.
3. Then apply Matrix Style Link Super Fixer Strong Hold Gel through the hair from the roots to the ends. Use a mixed bristle flat brush and gather hair into three low ponytails at the base of the neck and secure each with elastics. Divide each ponytail into two pieces and twist them onto themselves.
4. Wrap each section into a bun and shape them into a low twisty chignon. Secure with many hair pins and bobby pins.
5. Finish with a healthy pump of Matrix Style Link Gloss Booster, and smooth the product on the front of hair for extra shine and flyaway control.
“The dress is always a huge inspiration for me when I think about how to style hair,” says Stylist Adir Abergel. “I loved how beautiful, sleek and modern this Versace dress felt. I wanted to embody that look in the hairstyle by bringing some structural build to it and incorporating some great classical elements at the same time.”
1. Start with wet hair and apply Leonor Greyl Mousse Au Lotus Volumatrice from the roots to the midshaft to create hold and memory for a style that will last all night. Then use the ghd air ELITE Hairdryer with a round brush to smooth the ends and create a bouncy, voluminous blowout.
2. Separate the hair into two sections—a top half and a bottom half. Use the ghd Platinum Styler on the bottom half to create a beautiful smooth finish.
3. Using the Leonor Greyl Gel a l’Hibiscus, slick the bottom half into a very tight ponytail a couple of inches above the neck. Then take the top portion of the hair, part it down the middle, and tie it together with the bottom ponytail making sure you leave the top loose and undone in texture.
4. Smooth the Leonor Greyl Gel a l’Hibiscus over the entire ponytail then fold the ponytail onto itself and secure with hair pins. To get a high finish texture with both shine and hold, use the Leonor Grey Laque Souple hairspray all over.
Priyanka’s Emmys hair may seem like a simple ponytail, but it’s anything but! Trust us! Castillo used MOP haircare and ghd products to give the Quantico actress’ ponytail some glam and sophistication, pairing perfectly with her custom-made designer gown.
1. Start with freshly-washed hair.
2. Apply MOP’s Pear Detangler and comb through the hair to untangle and minimize frizz. Add MOP Mixed Greens Leave-In Conditioner from the midshaft to the ends to help coat any damage or dryness, then add a bit of the MOP Lemongrass Lift Root Spray to help with setting the hair.
3. Blow-dry the hair using the ghd Air Hairdryer until the hair is about 80 percent dry, then brush through it with the ghd Paddle Brush to take out any tangles.
4. Using a tail comb, create the side part, then section by section flat brush blow-dry the hair straight. Go back over each section with the ghd Platinum Styler from the midshaft to the ends.
5. After the hair is straightened, take a dollop of MOP Orange Peel Molding Cream and coat the roots to the midshaft. Brush it through with a finishing brush and then with a twisting motion, twist the hair behind her ear and down the back of her neck.
6. Repeat this same technique, minus the twist, and gather the hair into a low ponytail. Secure the hair with a hair bungee and wrap a section of hair around the bungee to conceal it.
7. Finish by applying touches of MOP’s C-System Firm Hair Spray around the hair line and around the ponytail.
When it comes to #hairgoals, Connie takes the title time and time again. Seriously, how does a mere mortal obtain such perfect strands? Stylist Chris Naselli styled the Nashville star’s envy-worthy strawberry blonde locks into a classic, voluminous look.
1. Starting with damp hair, apply a quarter size amount of Nexxus New York Salon Care Exxpand+ Volumizing Whip to the roots for long-lasting volume and body.
2. Using a medium round brush, blow-dry the hair while really working the roots for maximum volume and lift. Create a deep side part.
3. Apply a dime-sized amount of Nexxus Exxtra Defining Gel to the roots at the front and top of the head. Use your fingers to add extra lift at the roots and blast with hot air.
4. Use a 1-inch curling iron to add waves to the entire head and lightly spray each wave with Nexxus Frizz Defy Finishing Mist for a frizz-free, natural hold. Gently separate waves.
5. Finish with two pumps of Nexxus Oil Infinite Nourishing Oil and apply to ends of hair to provide maximum shine.
Bonus! Allison Janney’s Classic Red Nail Look
“Allison knew she wanted a red nail that was equal parts classic and vibrant. essie’s maki me happy, a deep crimson red from the new fall 2016 collection, perfectly popped against her custom black Badgley Mischka gown,” says Celebrity Manicurist Christina Aviles.
The Hottest Styling Trends of Summer 2023
The HOTTEST Styling Trends Of Fall 2022
The Best Hair & Beauty Moments From The Oscars 2021
9 Celebrity Hair How-Tos From The 2020 Golden Globes
Naomi Watts’ Old Hollywood Waves
7 Met Gala Hair & Beauty Trends To Follow ASAP
Gal Gadot’s Low Braided Pony
Priyanka Chopra’s Textured Updo
Kate Winslet’s Vintage-Inspired, Faux Bob
Mila Kunis’ Sleek & Sophisticated Bob
9 Celeb-Inspired Styles from the Emmy’s!
Jessica Chastain’s Effortless Waves and Beautiful Blowout