3 Tips For A Faster, Smoother Silk Press
Elevate Your Silk Press Service With These Quick Tips
Struggling to straighten AND nourish your client’s hair? Schwarzkopf Professional® Ambassador and BTC Team Member Brendnetta Ashley (@edgybgirl) is sharing her go-to techniques for making her clients’ hair sleek and silky in every way possible without sacrificing the integrity of their curls. From the prep steps to the blowout and her “one pass” silk press method, we’re walking through the process from start to finish so you can silk press with confidence.
1. Protect damaged ends at the very beginning of your service.
To protect her clients’ damaged ends, Brendnetta opts for Schwarzkopf Professional®’s Fibre Clinix® Fortify Sealed Ends treatment. This salon essential repairs and prevents damage at the same time, protecting fragile ends from necessary hot tool usage.
All you need to do is:
- Let a small amount emulsify in your hands, then apply to the midlengths and ends of the hair.
- Blow-dry as normal. Take a moment to admire that shine!
- Follow Brendnetta’s “one pass” method below to see the results you’re looking for.
Check out these instant results:
View this post on Instagram
Silk press clients coming in with split ends? Click here for the ultimate fix!
2. A good blowout will make your silk press that much easier.
The best way to minimize your time holding the flat iron is by properly smoothing the hair with an efficient blowout. This will save mega-time behind the chair, plus limit time spent with your heat styler.
Follow these steps for a silk press-ready blowout:
- Prep with a leave-in conditioner. Brendnetta used Schwarzkopf Professional® BLONDME® All Blondes Light Spray Conditioner.
- Gently detangle and part the hair into controlled sections.
- Blow-dry with a nozzle and brush to simultaneously smooth and create body. Brendnetta recommends using a paddle brush for more control over the hair.
- Work the base and midlengths before moving on to the ends of the hair because they are the most fragile.
Remember: The smoother you get the hair during the blowout, the less heat you have to use with the flat iron!
3. Take small sections for a “one pass” silk press.
You might think that speed is the secret to a “one pass,” but Brendnetta always recommends a slow and steady approach for a silky end result.
Here’s her “one pass” method:
- Take a thin subsection.
- Reduce the temperature of your flat iron to no higher than 410 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Insert your comb, then position the flat iron right behind it.
- Glide your comb and flat iron all the way through the ends of the hair at the same pace.
Watch Brendnetta’s technique in action below:
View this post on Instagram
Plus, Brendnetta shared a few tips to silk press like a pro:
One of Brendnetta’s most asked questions: Is it healthy to straighten out curly hair? Her simple answer: Yes—but with care and caution. “Overdoing anything can be dangerous and this is specifically true when it comes to straightening curly hair,” she explains. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Always use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. For example: Schwarzkopf Professional® Fibre Clinix® HYDRATE Shampoo and Conditioner balances moisture levels and improves elasticity.
- Lower your heat! This is for your blowdryer and flat irons. Thinner sections and lower heat can get the job done.
- Educate your clients and tell them not to use heat on their hair daily. “Pin curl, twist, wrap or pineapple your hair every night,” she suggests.
- With proper care, you can silk press and still maintain great curls. Brendnetta’s go-to for a silky (and healthy!) finish through the ends is Schwarzkopf Professional® Fibre Clinix® Fortify Sealed Ends.
Get your silk press to the next level with Schwarzkopf Professional®’s Fibre Clinix!
Your Official Guide To Barbie Blonde
Toning with Permanent Color: How to Avoid Banding
Honey Blondes: 3 Things To Know When Lifting
Good Warmth vs Bad Warmth: How to Tell the Difference
How To Formulate Blonde Toner (& Mistakes To Avoid)
Trend Breakdown: Hailey Bieber’s Glazed Brunette
Your Complete Guide To Color Blocking
2023’s Biggest Hair Color Trends
What’s Inside The Winter BTC Beauty Box
4 Tips To Hide & Fix Uneven Blondes
5 Blonde Foil + Toning Mistakes To Stop Making ASAP!
10 Toning Tips You’ll Need in 2023
Vanilla Red Velvet Color Block
10 Toning Tips for Every Client
This Year’s BIGGEST Products: 2022’s Most Talked About
5 Things That Keep Tyler Johnston Inspired
Cool Platinum Blonde
15 Styling Trends That Will Be Everywhere in Winter 2023
Bright, Foiled Lived-In Blonde
Break The Base in 7 Minutes? Here’s How It Works
2022 British Hairdressing Awards Winners Announced