3 Platinum Blonde How-Tos
Ah, Norway, with its emerald-green waters, majestic cliffs, cascading waterfalls and… perfect platinum haircolor? Yep, Norway is known as the land of striking scenery, and now we know why. Just look at these flawless platinum blonde color transformations from Julie Jakobsen (@juliejakobsenhair) of Glød Salon in Fredrikstad, Norway. Julie has become somewhat of a platinum powerhouse at her salon, so we asked if she would share some of her Scandinavian secrets with the rest of the world! Luckily, she obliged. Here are a few of our favorite white-hot formulas. Enjoy the view!
Perfect Silver White
Formula A: Wella Professionals Illumina 8/69 + 6/16 + 8/ (1:1:1) + Wella Color Touch Emulsion 1.9% (1:2) + 1/16 Olaplex No.1
Formula B: Wella BLONDOR Lightening Powder + 9% developer
Formula C: Wella Color Touch Emulsion 40g 10/6 + 20g 10/0 + 1 g 2/0 + 1.9% developer
1. Apply Formula A as a shadow root.
2. Balayage through the lengths using Formula B, then cover with plastic and process for about 15 minutes.
3. Rinse, and apply Olaplex No.2. Process for 10 minutes.
4. Apply Formula C, and process for 10 minutes.
5. Rinse with Miriam Quevedo Extreme Caviar Shampoo for Difficult Hair and finish with Wella Service Haircare Colour Post Treatment for 5 minutes.
Total Process Time (color, cut and Olaplex): 2.5 hours
Total Price: $280 for color + $47 for cut.
Formula A: Wella BLONDOR Lightening Powder + 6% (1:1.5) + a few drops of Olaplex No.1
Formula B: Wella BLONDOR Lightening Powder + 6% (1:3) + 1/16 Olaplex No.1
Formula C: Wella Color Touch 10/0 + 10/6 + 1.9% developer (1:2)
1. Apply Formula A to regrowth, making sure to saturate completely. Cover each finished section with plastic to avoid drying, then process for 15 minutes under medium heat.
2. At the shampoo bowl on dry hair, apply Formula B to the lengths. Process for 20 minutes.
3. Apply Olaplex No.2, and process for 20 minutes.
4. Shampoo using Oribe Bright Blonde Shampoo, then apply Formula C. Process for 20 minutes.
5. Shampoo using Oribe Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo and finish with Wella Service Haircare Colour Post Treatment for 5 minutes.
Total Process Time: about 3 hours
Total Price: $297 for color + $47 for cut
After Julie toned her once more using the formula above, Julie’s frozen blonde client is now a gorgeous, silver platinum!
Tone again using 2 parts Wella Color Touch 10/6 + 1 part 10/0 + 1.9%, and process for 20 minutes.
About 10 months ago, Julie met a new client—one who had been using box color to dye her hair black at home for more than ten years! To get her to platinum, Julie has bleached her whole head three times and her lengths one additional time. “Now she comes in for a root touchup and tone every 6 to 8 weeks,” says Julie.
Julie’s client 10 months ago and then after her first bleach and tone.
Formula A: Wella BLONDOR Lightening Powder 6% developer (1:2) + a few drops of Olaplex No.1
Formula B: 20g Wella Koleston Perfect 10/8 + 20g 9/16 + 10 g 9/0 + 4% developer (1:2)
1. Apply Formula A to regrowth. “I like to mix two times to keep my bleach fresh,” says Julie. Cover with plastic, and process for 30 minutes under low heat.
2. Rinse, then perform an Olaplex Stand Alone Treatment.
3. Tone with Formula B, processing for 15 minutes.
Julie’s client today, 10 months later.
Total Process Time: 2.5 to 3 hours
Total Price: $290
Get 3 MORE Platinum Blonde How-Tos from Julie!