Career Hair Stylist
Rare opportunity to join one of the top salon companies in San Diego!
Are you frustrated with effort and zero growth? Are you tired of managing your own inventory, clients and taxes? Do you miss the camaraderie of common goals and a business vision? Do you want security like retirement, sick days or health insurance from your profession? Or are you fresh out of school and don’t know where to go as all salons seem to want a towel folder and shampoo girl/boy for a year?
Award-winning Detour Salon is currently looking for the ideal candidates to join our team as a hair stylist and New Talent assistants in our San Diego and Encinitas salons.
We are looking for one or two individuals that value long-term job growth, love their craft, and want to find a home with career building opportunities. Detour has been named Best Hair Salon 2010-present by Ranch & Coast Magazine in addition to many other awards. Our talented editorial team has been seen in publications from Russia to Rancho Santa Fe, and has even done hair for the Cannes Global Short Film Best Picture winner, Pearl.
Detour is a dynamic, team-based business operating from a true employment business model. (No weird hybrids of booth rental). As such, we are able to offer rare salon industry benefits such as retirement and health insurance. Our expectations are that all team members are able to adeptly fulfill cosmetology services, take part in marketing activity to build and maintain a clientele, adhere to company standards of excellence, achieve company goals including pre-booking and retail, daily take part in keeping the salon operating smoothly through light cleaning, and keeping inventory stocked. Additionally, monthly meetings and ongoing classes are part of our program. What it all comes down to? “The Hustle” of being a hair dresser!
We are looking for long-term stylists that want to create a career. Our opportunities for growth for the right person are management, session work, education & training and in-salon coaching–all with a terrific income potential. We are not a booth renter incubator.
• Hold current California cosmetology license
• Be able to successfully perform all aspects of cosmetology position with an emphasis on both men’s and women’s cuts, color, bleach & tone, highlighting, straightening and perming, styling and updos.
• Have complete flexibility including evenings, weekends and most holidays
• Be able to lift at least 50 pounds
• Speak English fluently.
• Be able to stand for up to 8 hours at a time.
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Keep on time with appointments and scheduling
• Be able to meet company expectations for building and maintaining a clientele
• Excellent sales skills to effectively sell “yourself”, services and retail items (hair care, clothing, thermal tools, accessories, e.g.)
• Proven track record of excellent client retention
• Proficiency with Millennium software
• Fashion forward appearance
• Deliver excellent customer service from an upbeat and pleasant personality
• Demonstrate accurate cash register functions, process check and credit card transactions
• Be able to connect with a broad range of customer backgrounds
• Be familiar with current style trends in clothing, nails and cosmetics
Detour Salon is an equal opportunity employer.
see job description