BTC STYLIST FORUM Coronavirus Resources For Your Salon Independent contractors and unemployment?

Tagged: 

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by tracy kennedy.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      holly hoffland

Hi! I am in a one chair studio salon in Cleveland,Ohio. We were just mandated by the state to shut down all hair salons in the state. I’m wondering if anyone knows rules on whether or not you are able to get unemployment if you are mandated to shut down vs. voluntarily doing it? Just wondering if this is a thing. Thank you!

kiara bailey

Unfortunately you cannot collect unemployment as an independent contractor or company. Only employees who have had employers paying into the system for them for a certain period of time are eligible. I am trying to locate money out there and will post updates as i find it.
      The SBA site has no interest loans available so it’s basically free money you have to pay back.
      We will get through this!

Deanne Hunt

Check with your states unemployment office. Through the Cares Act all independents, 1099,gig workers can collect unemployment however the current system is not setup for such. It’s a waiting game right now.

tracy kennedy

So if I haven’t paid in unemployment I can’t get it is this correct

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.