If you’ve ever wanted to work backstage at New York Fashion Week or see your work appear in magazines—it’s time to sit up and pay attention, because Sebastian Professional is giving you the opportunity of a lifetime! Sebastian’s “What’s Next” Awards, which celebrates new and established artists who dare to push their creativity to the limits, gives you the stage to show off your incredible talent. Two of this year’s winners, Heather Rae Cheszek and Katey Bug Browne, won with a futuristic and fantastical creations. Both of their avant garde looks stole the show. See how they turned their vision into reality!
Heather’s Wind-Blown Look
1. Lightly prep the hair with Sebastian Professional Potion 9 Lite.
2. Create a deep, side part that connects to the nape corner on the same side.
3. Using Sebastian Professional Shine Crafter on the lighter side, use your fingers to create two tight rope twists and secure with elastics. Sew black elastic thread evenly around each twist, all the way down the length of the twists. Add 2 inches of black electrical tape around the elastics and backcomb the tips of each twist until desired texture is reached adding Sebastian Professional Dry Clean Only for an airy effect.
4. On the heavier side, use Sebastian Professional Shine Crafter to mold the hair against the scalp. Secure hair so it dries in that position.
5. Create a zigzag Pleating texture on the bottom half of the hair by spraying Sebastian Professional Shaper Zero Gravity on small sections, folding the hair onto itself and pressing the flat iron directly onto the fold, adding 2-3 folds per section. Spray Sebastian Professional Dry Clean Only onto the pleating and gently spread apart with fingers until desired texture is achieved.
Katey’s Big Volume Style
1. Section down the center part line and twist this section tightly. Use Sebastian Professional Micro Web Fiber for a clean hold.
2. Use a stitching technique from Sebastian Professionals Evotech Collection on this section.
3. Spray the remaining hair with Sebastian Professional Dry Clean Only to give the hair texture.
4. Use the pleating technique on the remaining hair. Leave hair smooth about 4 inches form the center part and use Sebastian Professional Shaper Zero Gravity for a flexible hold.
5. Once pleating is done, use a boar bristle brush and push the pleats into a soft shape.
6. Finish with Sebastian Professional Shaper Plus.