Upstyles: Sleek Sophistication
As prom and wedding season quickly approaches, it’s time to start thinking about some style ideas for your special occasion clients. Need some inspiration? Look no further than BTC’s NYFW Special Occasion Upstyles Roundup. From simple to statement-making, classic to modern, there’s one for every partygoer on your list.
The Show: Bibhu Mohapatra
Lead Stylist: Amit Abraham for L’Oreal Professionnel
The works of famed sculptor Auguste Rodin and the love between an artist and his muse inspired the hair at the Bibhu Mohapatra show. Amit gave the models romantic curled updos reflecting the aesthetic of Bibhu Mohapatra’s designs. “I’ve been with Bibhu for six seasons so I wanted to do something a little different,” says Amit. “He always raises the bar with his designs and patterns so I wanted to emulate that with a look that was dark, romantic and intricate.”
Get the Look
1. Apply L’Oréal Professionnel Tecni.Art Volume Envy Extra mousse to dry hair and blow-dry straight.
2. Take triangular parting from recession to recession going back to just below apex.
3. Secure sections creating a pintail on the highest point of the head using L’Oreal Professionnel Tecni.Art Infinium 3 to collapse and control hair at root.
4. Create another pony at the apex of the head using the rest of the hair, following the same procedure as the roots. Secure the pony at the apex covering the part created by first the pony.
5. Curl the ponytails with a 1” iron, spraying with L’Oréal Professionnel Tecni.Art Infinium 3 or Infinium 4 in three sections per pony, and secure to the base of the hair with a flat clip so hair can cool.
6. Release clipped curls and spray with L’Oréal Professionnel Perfect Shimmer and Tecni.Art Perfect Texture for control. Sculpt into shape and form with medium U-pins.
7. Finish with L’Oréal Professionnel Tecni.Art Extreme Lacquer.
The Show: Naeem Khan
Lead Stylist: Joseph DiMaggio for Davines
“Naeem designs for the modern woman living in a world of timeless, classic beauty,” says Joseph. “And he challenged me to live alongside them.” So for Naeem’s 10th anniversary show, he sculpted a time honored French twist, but freshened it up by creating a strong twisted shape from the hairline to the nape of the neck, adding texture and strengthening the line of the up-do. “The end result was a beauty look that not only reflects the luxe, detail of the collection, but also the vibrance of the past decade,” Joseph says.
Get the Look
1. Blow-dry hair using a paddle brush.
2. Section hair from ear to ear, creating front and back sections.
3. Temporarily tie the back section of the hair as you begin to manipulate the front section. Apply a generous amount of Davines More Inside This is a Volume Boosting Mousse to the hairline and root of the front section.
4. Using a wide toothcomb, dry the roots upward, focusing on molding the hair to the right side of the parietal ridge to create volume.
5. Proceed by backcombing the hair at the roots, using vertical diagonal sections.
6. Brush the hair across the head (toward the right) and secure in a vertical line using bobby pins.
7. Release the back section of the hair that was tied.
8. Taking the top section of the hair, begin to roll/twist the hair back towards the center of the face (to the left). Continue the roll and twist motion, moving backwards on the head, and securing with U-pins. The hair will gradually become larger at the back of the crown, creating a more geometric looking twist.
**Pro Tip: Be sure the first bobby pin at the top of the head points toward the back of the head, and the last bobby pin at the bottom of the hair points toward the top of the head.
9. Using a tail comb, pick the hair to mold into desired shape, adding volume and strength.
10. Pull flyaways along the temples and nape for a more natural, lived-in look.
11. Secure the look by using More Inside This is a Medium Hold Hair Spray.
The Show: Zang Toi
Lead Stylist: Eiji Yamane for Rene Furterer
To truly capture the essence of Zang Toi’s Venetian-inspired collection, Eiji developed a sleek, dimensional chignon. “Italians are known for clean and sleek silhouettes, so I wanted simple yet stunning statement hair,” says Zang. “Sometimes a chignon can read too old, so I decided to place the chignon a little higher on the head and to build it out from the back and sides to make it younger-looking but still elegant.”
Get the Look
1. Spray hair with water and apply René Furterer FIORAVANTI shine enhancing no rinse detangling spray on roots and lengths to smooth hair down, add shine and detangle.
2. Sectioning off hair and beginning with the bottom layer, blow-dry the dampened hair, then flat iron. The hair should be very straight and smooth before you begin to create the chignon.
3. On the top layer, make a clean angled part above the arch of the eyebrow. Next, take René Furterer STYLING WAX and begin to smooth down the parted hair, directing it toward the back of the head.
4. Next, section hair from ear to ear. Gather the hair in the bottom half and create a high ponytail at the base of the crown and secure it with a bungee cord. Brush the hair from the top half back, over and around the ponytail, using more STYLING WAX for hold and to create shine.
5. Gradually incorporate the top half into the ponytail making sure the top of the head is perfectly smooth. To help maintain the part, use clips below the ears.
6. For thin or short hair, you can use extensions to add weight to the ponytail. Position the extensions right below the ponytail and use a bungee cord to make one large ponytail with all hair. Wrap a strand of hair around the bungee cord and secure into hair with bobby pins.
7. Next, pin a handful of hair stuffing underneath the ponytail. The stuffing will be the element that really adds depth and extra dimension to the chignon.
8. Fan out the hair to cover the stuffing completely and brush hair smooth around the stuffing, creating the chignon. Tie hair lengths with a bungee cord below the stuffing and then roll and pin the remaining hair ends underneath the stuffing.
9. Mist hair generously with René Furterer VEGETAL FINISHING SPRAY.
The Show: Alice + Olivia
Lead Stylist: Rodney Cutler for Cutler/Redken Salons
“The Alice + Olivia woman is strong, sophisticated and bold. She commands your attention,” says Rodney. “I wanted to develop that further with her hair.” So to complement the ornateness of the pieces in the collection, Rodney created a sleek rope braid and fastened it into a chignon for a strong, immaculate silhouette from all sides. The ruby red flowers and luscious lips pulled the look together, delving deeper into the extreme detail and texture of the collection.
Get the Look
1. Start by creating a strong center part.
2. Apply Cutler Volumizing Spray and Redken Full Frame 07 Protective Volumize Mousse at the root and blow dry hair straight.
3. Separate hair into three sections. Two in the front, from the center part directly down to behind the ears, and a third in the back, with the remaining hair.
4. Gather the back section of hair into a low ponytail just below the occipital bone and secure with elastic.
5. Using a flat brush, pull the front two sections toward to the back of the head and secure with a secondary elastic around the ponytail.
6. Create a rope braid by dividing ponytail into two sections and twisting each section counterclockwise, until the full length has been twisted.
7. Then, cross the two sections over one another repeatedly until you reach the bottom of the ponytail and secure with elastic. This creates the rope braid.
8. Twist the rope braid into a horizontal chignon from ear to ear. Secure with French pins and finish with Redken Fashion Work 12 Versatile Hairspray to hold.
9. Add three ruby red large carnations across the top with pins.
5 Hair Trends We Spotted At New York Fashion Week
Disco Texture Is New York Fashion Week’s Biggest Hair Trend (Literally)
Fashion Week: What It Takes To Work Backstage
WATCH: 5 Runway Quickies + Backstage Tips From Fashion Week
A Sam Villa Updo, Plus Cutting Curls and Bobs
The Salon at ULTA Styles Student Runway Shows
Redken Symposium—Learn, Earn and Live Better
Cream of the Crop: 3 Short and Sexy Golden Globe Styles
Bun Bonanza at NYFW!
Sleek Fishtail Pony