Textured French Twist from Joseph DiMaggio
At the Fall 2015 Naeem Khan show during New York Fashion Week, Master Session Ambassador for Davines North America, Joseph DiMaggio, was challenged to create a look to complement the designs of a modern woman living in a world of timeless, classic beauty. So for Naeem’s 10th anniversary show, he sculpted the time honored French twist, but freshened it up by creating a strong twisted shape from the hairline to the nape of the neck, adding texture and strengthening the line of the updo. “The end result was a beauty look that not only reflects the luxe, detail of the collection, but also the vibrance of the past decade,” Joseph says.
Get the Look
1. Blow-dry hair using a paddle brush.
2. Section hair from ear to ear, creating front and back sections.
3. Temporarily tie the back section of the hair as you begin to manipulate the front section. Apply a generous amount of Davines More Inside This is a Volume Boosting Mousse to the hairline and root of the front section.
4. Using a wide-tooth comb, dry the roots upward, focusing on molding the hair to the right side of the parietal ridge to create volume.
5. Proceed by backcombing the hair at the roots, using vertical diagonal sections.
6. Brush the hair across the head (toward the right) and secure in a vertical line using bobby pins.
7. Release the back section of the hair that was tied.
8. Taking the top section of the hair, begin to roll/twist the hair back towards the center of the face (to the left). Continue the roll and twist motion, moving backwards on the head, and securing with U-pins. The hair will gradually become larger at the back of the crown, creating a more geometric looking twist.
**Pro Tip: Be sure the first bobby pin at the top of the head points toward the back of the head, and the last bobby pin at the bottom of the hair points toward the top of the head.
9. Using a tail comb, pick the hair to mold into desired shape, adding volume and strength.
10. Pull flyaways along the temples and nape for a more natural, lived-in look.
11. Secure the look by using More Inside This is a Medium Hold Hair Spray.