Rough Elegant Upstyles Reigned Supreme at NYFW ’16
Elegant, yet trendy upstyles reigned supreme on the spring/summer 2016 runways of NYFW. From sleek chignons and high-style ponies to looks that made us stop and way, "WOW", these are the creative upstyles that blew us away and are sure to blow your clients away in the salon.
Elegant, textured and structured upstyles reigned supreme on the spring/summer 2016 runways of NYFW. From sleek chignons and high-style ponies to looks that made us stop and way, “WOW”, these are the creative upstyles that blew us away and are sure to blow your clients away in the salon.
Hair by Amit Abraham for L’Oréal Professionnel
Bauhaus, the German school of art which was founded on the idea of creating a “total” work of art served as the inspiration behind the spring/summer 2016 Bibhu Mohapatra show. So Amit Abraham created a sculptural chignon with a deep and dramatic C shaped side part. “The look showcases a juxtaposition of structured masculinity and the contemporary, modern woman,” say Amit.
Get the Look
1. Prep hair with L’Oréal Professionnel Crêpage de Chignon for texture and hold. Then apply L’Oréal Professionnel Shower Shine on the sides of the head for a sleek, wet look.
2. Create a c-shape parting on the left side from recession to about 2 inches in from perimeter at the nape forming two sections of hair.
3. Smooth and comb the hair from within that parting with L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium 3 and secure with bungee at the nape of the neck.
4. In the remaining section on the opposing side, begin backcombing at the front 2 inches of the hairline and smooth into a structured quiff. (Angle of quiff slightly increasing away from parting.)
5. Keeping all hair behind the quiff flat, clean and smooth, begin creating a tight twisted roll that sits right above the parietal ridge and angles down to meet the existing left ponytail. Twist and roll the remaining hair into a clean and tight side chignon.
Hair by Kien Hoang for Oribe Hair Care
Channeling late ’70s/ early ’80s Miami–think Michelle Pfeiffer in “Scarface” served as the muse for the Veronica Beard spring/summer collection. To complement the vibrant clothes, lead sylist Kien Hoang created a sleek, wet-looking, unstructured chignon with high shine. “The Veronicas wanted the girls to look like they’d just stepped out of the pool,” said Kien.
Get the Look
1. Prep the hair with Oribe Run-Through Detangling Primer from roots to ends.
2. Combine a generous amount of Curl Gloss and Surfcomber Tousled Texture Mousse in hands and apply from roots to ends, section-by-section, until the hair is completely saturated. “The Curl Gloss helps give this look high shine,” said Hoang.
3. Tie the hair into a ponytail with a hair bungee band and then wrap the tail into an unstructured chignon, leaving half an inch at the ends out.
4. Finish with a generous misting of Soft Lacquer Heat Styling Spray or Shine Light Reflecting Spray for intense shine and to accentuate the wet look of the hair.
Hair by Janelle Chaplin, O&M Global Creative Director
East meet West in the Paul Andrew spring/summer 2016 collection. Drawing inspiration from Hong Kong’s intersection of craft, tradition and technology, Janelle Chaplin, O&M’s Global Creative Director created a structured look that was both sleek and elegant–allowing the pont of focus to lie on the beautiful shoes.
Get the Look
1. Spray hair with water and coat with O&M Project Sukuroi. Blow-dry balm into the hair using a round brush to smooth the hair and add shine. Follow by straightening the hair with a flat iron.
2. Create a center part and take two large front sections of hair and pull back behind the ears.
3. Section the back of the hair in half. Secure a top ponytail at the center crown of the head and secure the lower ponytail at the bottom center, above the neck. Wrap a small section of hair around the base of both ponytails and secure with a bobby pin.
4. Connect the two front center sections, upper and lower ponytails together and secure with a hair tie at the base of the head.
5. Lastly, secure in place using O&M Original Queenie Firm Hold Hairspray.
Hair by Mirza Batanovic for Eufora International
Tennis courts from an aerial perspective served as inspiration for the Katie Ermilio spring/summer collection. This girl is carefree, sporting her natural texture. Therefore, Mirza created a base knot with a few ends left out giving the illusion of an imperfect bun.
1. On completely dry hair, use Eufora Sea Spritz all over to activate natural texture.
2. Using Eufora Fixation, pull the hair back off the face (tighter on the sides) and put in a ponytail at the base of the neck.
3. Using your fingers, rake through the top of the head to create separation and texture throughout.
4. Tie a knot with the ponytail and tighten it to the desired size. Pin into place.
5. You can leave some ends out or tuck them under the knot.
6. Finish the look to set in place with Eufora’s Uplift Finishing Spray.