Our 6 Fave Classic Looks From The Met Gala
The theme of the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute Gala 2016 on Monday was Manus X Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology. With Apple as a sponsor, the night was all about technology, from light-up dresses to outfits made of circuit boards. That’s what made these clean, classic looks so appealing—against the backdrop of the super futuristic, these simple (but by no means boring) hairstyles felt even fresher.
Hair by Anh Co Tran for L’Oréal Professionnel
Love this playful yet glam Thakoon tuxedo Alexa rocked, and especially love her lived-in hair, created by L’Oréal Professionnel hairstylist Anh Co Tran, co-owner of Ramirez | Tran Salon (the creators of the lived-in look!). “The inspiration for Alexa’s look was a modern, effortless take on David Bowie,” Anh says. “This look dries really naturally, soft to the touch and not over-styled.”
1. Start with freshly washed hair.
2. Prep the wet hair with L’Oréal Professionnel Absolut Repair Lipidium Leave-In Blow-Dry Cream. Anh used a pea-sized amount applied mostly on the ends to smooth them where Alexa has highlights.
3. Rough-dry the hair with your fingers without moving it too much, which can make the hair really straight. “My goal was to keep her texture,” Anh says.
4. Curl the hair, pushing it back and leaving the ends out, so it looks effortless and natural.
5. Finish with L’Oréal Professionnel Crêpage de Chignon Mineral Powder Spray, then spray with L’Oréal Professionnel Tecni.Art Infinium 4 High-Hold Hairspray.
Hair by Mara Roszak
Celebrity hairstylist Mara Roszak gave us the scoop on Emma’s old Hollywood look. “Emma wore this gorgeous white, flowy Prada gown with sharp gunmetal details for an ethereal yet edgy look,” Mara shares. “We wanted the hair to have a strong, powerful presence.”
1. Prep the hair with L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Boost It Volume Inject Mousse and part it to the side.
2. To disguise Emma’s bangs, Mara pinned them to the side.
3. Use a small round brush and the ghd air hairdryer to blow-dry the hair to create volume.
4. Pin-curl the hair and spray all over with L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Strong Hold.
5. After several minutes, take the pins out and use the 1-¼ inch ghd curve soft curl iron to go over the curls.
6. Brush out the curls to create looser waves, spray all over with L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Strand-Smoother Serum Spray for shine.
7. Apply Elnett Satin Hairspray Strong Hold to keep the hair in place.
Hair by DJ Quintero for Alterna Haircare
Katie’s extra-long, sleek locks were styled by DJ Quintero. “We chose long, straight hair to compliment the Zac Posen dress,” he shares. “The whole feel became very Cher-esque; a ‘70s throwback.” Here’s how it’s done!
1. Prep hair by applying Alterna Haircare Caviar CC Cream to add both manageability and smoothness.
2. Apply hair extensions.
3. Using a thick round brush, blow-dry the hair.
4. Flat-iron the hair with the Sultra Beauty 1-inch tool.
5. To hide extensions, apply Alterna Haircare Bamboo Smooth Kendi Dry Oil Mist to the areas where they meet.
6. Use a small comb to part the hair down the middle and create a super-long part.
7. To finish the hair, apply a small amount of Alterna Haircare Caviar Anti-Aging Working Hair Spray for a movable, yet smooth hold.
Hair by Cesar Ramirez for MIZANI
Celebrity hairstylist and MIZANI Global Artistic Director Cesar Ramirez shared that he and Kim went back and forth about what they should do with her hair up until the evening before the event. “The Balmain dress was so major on its own, we opted to keep her hair sexy and fresh,” he says. “I just wanted the hair to look wet and completely undone. The look may be very simple, but it actually takes a lot of steps to achieve. I even had to flex my colorist skills since I had to bleach and dye Kim’s brows.”
1. On freshly washed hair, prep with MIZANI 25 Miracle Milk. “It’s extremely moisturizing and will protect the hair from every other layer of product,” Cesar says.
2. Part out an inch around the hairline and use MIZANI Edge Taming Gel, brushing the hair while pinning everything back.
3. Spray the hair from roots to ends with MIZANI HRM to hold in place.
4. Brush the hairline initially left out to cover the rest of the hair and hide any pins.
5. Blow-dry on a low setting to heat and set everything in place.
6. Finish with MIZANI Hi-Def Shyne Spray to give everything a super shiny, wet look.
Hair by Rebekah Forecast for amika
Allison Williams’ wrapped perfection? The perfect complement to her traditional yet modern dress. The fishtail braid, with added volume in the front of the hair, is a new twist on a traditional updo and shape. Here’s how it’s done!
1. Starting with damp hair, apply amika Bombshell Blowout Spray throughout the hair.
2. Next, apply amika Heat Defense Serum and blow-dry the hair using the amika Power Cloud Force Dryer.
3. At the hairline, add extra volume with the amika Digital Titanium Glide Styler to add a bend in the root—the hair should not lie flat against the head.
4. Begin to fishtail the hair in a spiral formation around the head, and secure with pins as needed.
5. As you separate the hair into sections, apply amika Curl Defining Cream to add volume and shine.
6. After each section of braid, gently tug on the section and spray with amika Un.Done Texture Spray to add thickness and secure the style.
7. Continue to spiral the fishtail, and once complete, seal the look with amika Touchable Hairspray.
Hair by Tokyo Stylez
That bob! We were all in awe and shock at the chic chin-grazing, asymmetrical bob that Kylie wore. Shaking it up, Kylie went classic with a natural hair color and a sleek middle part. Channeling the strong sophisticated bob à la Christy Turlington in the ’90s, Tokyo Stylez created her blunt, chin length bob wig. Stunning!
1. To get the look, apply Kevin Murphy Anti-Gravity Spray and OUAI Hair Oil to damp hair for hold and shine.
2. Use the Dyson Blow Dryer and large Ibiza round brush to blow dry hair smooth and straight.
3. Use the Kardashian Beauty Flat Iron to straighten and bevel ends under.
4. Apply Christophe Robin Brightening Hair Finishing Lotion to hydrate and add shine.
5. Finish with OUAI Soft Hair Spray to hold all night long.