Nailed It! Wild and Whimsical
Say au revoir to pale pink French manicures; bid adieu to summer’s UV-infused neons. Fall nails feature unexpected juxtapositions of texture and color, edgy embellishments and an important new shape.
Denim & Diamonds
This season, stilettos are no longer reserved for footwear—the long, pointed silhouette of Carrie Bradshaw’s favorite shoe is also fall’s hottest nail shape. This CND nail art design of navy blue and sequins complements the dagger shape (or visually elongates a less pointed nail) for a glamorous, eye-catching effect.
1. Prepare the nail, apply a thin layer of CND® SHELLAC® brand Base Coat and cure for 10 seconds in the CND® LED Lamp.
2. Apply two thin layers of CND® SHELLAC® brand nail color in Peacock Plume and cure each layer for one minute.
3. Apply CND® SHELLAC® brand nail color in Silver Chrome with a Striping Brush in a triangle at the base of the nail, then cure for one minute.
4. Apply CND® Additives Midnight Revelry to the Silver Chrome triangle using a dry Gel Flat Oval Brush.
5. Apply a thin layer of CND® SHELLAC® brand XPRESS5™ Top Coat, and cure for one minute.
6. Wipe the nail with 99 percent isopropyl alcohol to remove the tip film.
Take a walk on the wild side with nail art from OPI’s Venice Collection. Use these fierce shades, along with a Golden Pointe Brush, to create a wide variety of jungle-inspired patterns. Here is a basic how-to—vary as desired for a wide range of feline designs.
1. On properly prepared nail, apply a thin coat of OPI GelColor Base Coat and cure for 30 seconds in the OPI LED Light.
2. Apply two thin coats of OPI GelColor Baroque…But Still Shopping! Cap the free edge and cure for 30 seconds.
3. Apply a thin coat of OPI GelColor Top Coat. DO NOT CURE. Use a Golden Pointe Brush to apply dots of OPI GelColor Black Onyx onto the wet surface of the nail.
4. Immediately layer dots with drops of OPI GelColor Top Coat, followed by tiny dots of OPI GelColor Black Onyx. Flash cure for 15 seconds.
5. Apply a thin coat of OPI GelColor Top Coat and cure for 30 seconds. Remove the gel residue with an Expert Touch Nail Wipe and N.A.S. 99.
With essie’s Watercolor 2015 Collection, you can create delicate, translucent effects. The shades are easy to layer and easy to blend. They’re thin but not watery, and the more polish you wipe off your brush before applying to the nail, the more translucent the watercolor effect can be. Here’s a how-to for a watercolor ombré look.
1. Apply a thin layer of essie base coat, followed by two coats of white page.
2. Use aluminum foil or a small dish as a palette. Add a few drops of muse, myself, love sheen and no shrinking violet. Apply these three shades in ombré blocks–using a detail brush, create small diagonal brush strokes, overlapping where the colors meet. Continue creating small ombré blocks in a line across the nail.
3. Repeat Step 2 using pen & inky and point of blue.
4. Repeat using muse, myself and highest bidder.
5. Repeat using love sheen and no shrinking violet, and seal with essie top coat.
TIP: Work quickly on each ombré block to allow the colors to blend and mingle.