Let’s Hear It for the Boys—NYFW ’15
He’s a little bit rock ‘n’ roll, a little bit club kid and a little bit James Dean. We’re not talking about just one guy, but the many men at New York Fashion Week ’15! Shuffling from show to show, we found the inspiration between each collection varying, resulting in some diverse ’dos that are both easy to recreate and perfect for everyday wear. If these are the looks we can anticipate this fall and winter—swoon—we’re in for a treat!
The Show: Simon Miller
Lead Stylist: Johnnie Sapong, GO24.7
For Simon Miller’s 2015 collection, Johnnie created a lived-in look for the casual rock and roller. “We wanted the hair to look as though it had been dragged through a bush; natural, but textured so that hair almost lays like fabric,” says Johnnie.
Get the Look
1. Prep the hair using GO24.7 Gel. Lightly apply throughout the hair.
2. Blast hair with a hairdryer and diffuser attachment until completely dry.
3. Blend GO24.7 Texture Paste with GO24.7 Styling Cream in your hands. For added strength, increase the amount of Texture Paste used.
4. Dust your hands throughout the hair to create matte separation and hold.
7. Finish the look with a blast of GO24.7 Control Spray.
The Show: Public School
Lead Stylist: Antoinette Beenders, Aveda Global Creative Director
With the ’90s roaring back into the fashion scene lately, Antoinette sought inspiration in the club kid subculture to create this look for the Public School collection. “This is the guy that went out every night. He wasn’t longing to be seen—he was the scene!” says Antoinette.
Get the Look
1. Generously mist hair from roots to ends with Pure Abundance™ Style Prep™ to add volume and grip.
2. Comb through hair to fully saturate and begin blow-drying for added texture and body.
3. Once dry, apply Aveda Men Pure-Formance™ Liquid Pomade throughout the hair to begin creating a “piecey” wet look.
4. Using a coin-sized amount of Aveda Men Pure-Formance™ Firm Hold Gel, create a more textured shape on the sides and back, guiding hair away from the face. Build volume by adding a coin-sized amount of Aveda Men Pure-Formance™ Firm Hold Gel through the top.
5. To finish, set with a light mist of Air Control™ Hair Spray.
THE Show: Stephen F LILI Collection
Lead Stylist: Adam Maclay, Rene Furterer
Striving to create a look for the cool gentleman, Adam found inspiration by channeling James Dean’s effortless locks to create expertly done, undone coifs. “We wanted the grooming to have an edge to it, one that wasn’t the everyday polished businessman,” says Adam.
Get the Look
1. Start by spraying water over the entire head. Once the hair has been dampened, distribute a small amount of René Furterer SCULPTING GEL through the hair with your hands, lifting the hair while doing so.
2. With a blow dryer and a nozzle attachment dry the hair, directing it back away from the face with your hands and a Mason Pearson brush. Create good tension at the root to get some lift while drying the hair.
3. To incorporate the matte look, take some René Furterer MODELING PASTE and, after rubbing it into your fingers, gently disperse into the hair to get great texture.
4. Finally, once finished creating the “done, undone” look, lightly mist René Furterer VEGETAL FINISHING SPRAY over all the hair.