How-To: Subtle Summer Blonde
Redken Flash Lift + Olaplex No.1 + 20-volume developer
Flash Lift + Olaplex No.1 + 30-volume developer
Flash Lift + developer + Olaplex No.1 + shampoo + water
Equal parts Redken Shades EQ 08V + 08N
Shades EQ 09V
When your client comes in with light lilac on her ends and grown-out, virgin hair up top, what’s your end goal? For Mallory Vandenberg and her client in Winnipeg, Manitoba, it was to remove the purple and achieve a low-maintenance, summery blonde. Well, mission accomplished, Mal! Here’s how she gave her client the sun-kissed style.
Formula A (balayage): Redken Flash Lift + Olaplex No.1 + 20-volume developer
Formula B (balayage): Flash Lift + Olaplex No.1 + 30-volume developer
Formula C (glam bath): Flash Lift + developer + Olaplex No.1 + shampoo + water
Formula D (midlength toner): Equal Parts Redken Shades EQ 08V + 08N
Formula E (end toner): Shades EQ 09V
1. Using Formula A, start to balayage in the bottom back sections, painting some pieces all the way to the root and skipping every third section.
2. Complete the entire back of the head in this manner.
3. Moving to the sides and front of the head, balayage using Formula B and foils. Let process for 20 minutes.
4. Rinse at shampoo bowl and apply Formula C (the glam bath!). Mallory used this mixture to get an added boost of brightness and to make sure all the purple was removed from her client’s hair. She let the mixture sit for 10 minutes. Then, shampoo with Redken All Soft and rinse.
5. Apply Formula D to midlengths and Formula E to ends, then finish the service with an Olaplex No.2 treatment.
Price: $180 (includes balayage, glam bath, toner, Olaplex treatment, cut and style.)
Time: 2.5 hours (includes trim, style and photos)