How-To: Marbled Nails
Water-marbled nails are super on-trend, but it’s also crazy messy and difficult to do. Give your clients a similar look with this technique, inspired by tropical waves!
The colors used here are from OPI’s new Fiji Collection, available in GelColor. Check it out!
1. On a properly prepared nail, apply a thin coat of OPI GelColor Base Coat. Cure for 30 seconds in the OPI LED Light.
2. Apply one coat of OPI GelColor Suzi Without A Paddle to the thumb, then cure for 30 seconds.
3. Apply one coat of OPI GelColor Alpine Snow to the index finger, but do not cure. Using the OPI GelColor Top Coat, create a wave pattern on top of Alpine Snow, then cure for 30 seconds.
4. Apply one coat of OPI GelColor Is That A Spear In Your Pocket? to the middle finger, leaving out a small circle in the middle. Apply a dab of Top Coat to the circle and swirl the brush to add texture. Cure for 30 seconds.
5. Apply a very thin coat of OPI GelColor Super Trop-i-cal-i-fiji-istic to the ring finger. Cure for 30 seconds.
6. Apply a very thin coat of Is That A Spear In Your Pocket? to the pinkie. Use the Top Coat to add texture. Cure for 30 seconds.
7. Apply a second coat of Suzi Without A Paddle on the edges of the thumb, followed by Top Coat. Cure for 30 seconds.
8. Repeat the same technique on the index finger using Alpine Snow.
9. Swipe the free edge of the ring finger with Is That A Spear In Your Pocket, then apply Super Trop-i-cal-i-fiji-istic near the cuticle and add texture with Top Coat.
10. On a piece of foil, mix Is That A Spear In Your Pocket? with Top Coat to create a translucent mixture. Use this new shade to create swirl designs on the thumb.
11. Apply another layer of Top Coat to the index finger. Do not cure. Mix various colors with Top Coat to create new translucent shades, and use these shades to create wave patterns on the index finger.
12. Create more wave patterns on the middle finger using Alpine Snow.
13. Continue creating waves on the index finger.
Pro tip: Use contrasting colors to create more definition in the waves. And remember: this look is inspired by Fiji’s calm and flowing water—don’t worry about being too precise!
14. Continue layering and detailing with various colors and combinations. Flash cure each layer for 15 seconds.
15. Apply Top Coat to all nails. Cure for 30 seconds, then remove gel residue with Expert Touch Nail Wipes and N.A.S. 99.