How-To: Finger Pin Curl
Let’s talk glamour! Your client wants it smooth, classic and totally polished—but not boring! Think bouncy finger pin curls and a silky finish with a sweet vintage twist. This look by ghd will have your glam gal walking into any room with her head held high like a winsome warrior … and after all, why not? She looks AMAZING. Here’s how it’s done!
Here’s the secret to this look: ghd’s new air ELITE™, a new blow dryer with a design that’s based on feedback from top salon stylists. The air ELITE™ features a professional performance motor, a turbo-powered heater and advanced ionic technology. With two power speeds and three different heat settings, plus two precision nozzles and a diffuser adapter, this blow dryer can keep up with a busy day behind the chair.
1. Using the ghd air ELITE™, blow-dry the hair back and away from the face with the rotation blow technique.
2. Working from the hairline, slide your fingers towards the scalp and use the pads of your fingers to move the hair in a shaking motion while continuing the rotation blow. Ensure the airflow is aimed at the roots to remove excess moisture from the hair. Repeat around the hairline, moving back towards the crown in a diagonal direction.
3. Working from the recession, start to smooth the hair out. Aim the airflow downwards to smooth the cuticle, using the under smooth and over smooth techniques.
4. Starting at the front of the hairline, place your hand—with the fingers spread—into the roots of the hair. Close your fingers, slide the hand forward and elevate the hair. Concentrate the airflow at the roots and up towards the palm.
5. Repeat this method though the side sections towards the crown and the occipital bone then down towards the nape. Continue until the hair is 95 percent dry.
1. Section hair as per the photo above.
2. Starting at the nape, take a horizontal subsection.
3. Place your index and middle finger at the root area, pointing downwards. Twist the section and wrap the hair around your fingers towards the back of the head. Continue wrapping the hair around your fingers, twisting as you wrap and keeping the fingers straight at all times.
4. Once the hair is wrapped, gently remove your fingers while making sure that the ends of the hair are tucked into the curl.
5. Place the curl between the ghd platinum styler plates, then gently close and hold for approximately five seconds.
6. Secure with a pin curl clip at the root area and leave to cool.
7. Repeat previous steps, working upwards to incorporate all of the hair. As the subsections get wider, split the hair into two or three separate pin curls. Select your desired parting before you divide up the top section. Ensure that you always wrap the hair towards the back of the head.
8. Once the hair has cooled, release all of the curls from the pin curl clips, stretching out each section slightly as you go to soften the curl.
1. Break up the curls and remove section lines using the pads of your fingers over the surface of the scalp.
2. Lightly tease the hair from the roots to ends using an oval dressing brush, ensuring you keep the waves full and smooth.