How-To Duo: Classic Chignon and Knotted Mohawk
Double the looks, double the fun! Pulling inspiration from 2016 NYFW, Victorian watercolors and back around to an edgy Queens, New York style, we have two looks that play to all of your clients. Plus, we share the secret from Moroccanoil to maintaining the hold and height in updos—check it out!
Take a 2016 NYFW update on the Victorian chignon! Moroccanoil Global Ambassador Antonio Corral Calero channeled the classic elegance inspired by peaceful watercolors of days gone by. Of course your client doesn’t have the time of a lady in waiting—the secret to effortlessly creating this look is the Moroccanoil Thickening Lotion that sets the look! Check it out!
1. Starting with damp hair, apply a dime size amount of Treatment through the hair to prep for styling and increase manageability. Use a comb to create a deep center part.
2. Next, add Thickening Lotion from root to tip. Use a Boar Bristle Round Brush and Ceramic Hair Dryer to blow dry hair straight.
3. Once dry, spray an even amount of Dry Texture Spray over every inch of hair.
4. Brush through hair and tie into a low semi-tight ponytail at the base of the neck. Leave a few loose strands of hair in the front.
5. Separate the ponytail in half and spray with Dry Texture Spray.
6. Take the left section and pull over right side and right side over left side looping into hair.
7. Once looped, take out pieces from the bottom side of both directions, twirl each side and secure with an elastic band. Criss-cross the twirled ends inward into a weave-pattern chignon.
8. To finish the look, mist with Luminous Hairspray Strong to hold in place.
Knotted Mohawk Braid
Chignons are sweet, but is your girl looking for something a little more edgy? Definitely detailed, this unique, raw and unconventional braided Mohawk is perfect for the client who is expressive and extremely confident—does the perfect client come to mind?! Get her in your chair and get to work! Just make sure you have the Moroccanoil Thickening Lotion: that is still the secret for maintaining the height and the hold.
1. Shampoo and condition with Extra Volume Shampoo and Extra Volume Conditioner. Towel-dry the hair.
2. Apply 2 – 3 pumps of Moroccanoil Treatment Light to damp midlengths and ends globally.
3. Apply 1 pump of Thickening Lotion from roots through ends.
4. Rough-dry as necessary. Blow-dry using a 55 mm ceramic round brush to create volume.
1. Create a center section using curved diagonal back partings. Secure with styling clips.
2. Create a curved diagonal back parting from low recession to the nape on the right side. Use styling clips to secure a section above and below the parting. Repeat on left side.
3. Begin at the front hairline and create a classic French braid (tight to the head) in each of the two lowest sections on the right and left side of the head. Secure the braids with elastics and allow the ends to remain loose below the nape.
4. Begin at the front hairline and create an inverted French braid (tight to the head) in each of the two sections above the completed braids on the right and left side of the head. Secure the braids with elastics and allow the ends to remain loose below the nape.
5. Begin at the front hairline and create a 2-inch V-shaped subsection in the center section. Split the subsection into two separate strands and tie together like a shoelace. Tie a second knot and secure the center of the subsection to the head with a bobby pin.
6. Create a second V-shaped subsection behind the first and split into two strands. Pick up the remaining lengths from the first subsection, join them with the strands of the second section and tie them into a knot. Secure the subsection to the head with a bobby pin. Repeat the process until reaching the bottom of the section at the nape and secure hair ends with an elastic.
7. Use a 1 ½ inch Marcel iron to curl the loose lengths of hair in alternating directions, from all five sections, at the nape. Leave the very ends of the hair straight.
8. Blouse the braids to diffuse the parting lines. Blouse the knots to create height and desired texture. Apply Dry Texture Spray to the curled lengths and ruche. Tap the ends of the hair with a flat iron and apply Molding Cream to enhance definition.