How-To: Contoured Bob
A classic bob, a subtle ombré, a few, strategic face-framing pieces. There’s something to be said about a color that looks simple, yet when done just right is absolutely stunning. That’s definitely the case here. “[This client] had been trying to achieve a more solid ombré at other salons,” shares Gabrielle Marquez (@givemegabrielle), a stylist at Van Michael Salon in Atlanta, Ga.. “She wanted it to look ‘pretty’ and ‘natural,’ yet she kept getting a ‘foiled’ look.” So Gabrielle grabbed her lightener and got to work, ultimately achieving this multidimensional, painted masterpiece that’s perfect for clients looking for a seasonal color shift!
Natural Level: 6
Formula B (front quadrants): 30g Redken Free Hand Blonde Idol + 45g 30-volume developer + 3.5g Olaplex No.1
Formula C (back quadrants): 30g Redken Free Hand Blonde Idol + 45g 40-volume developer + 3.5g Olaplex No.1
Formula D (gloss): Redken Shades EQ 1 oz. 09GI + 1/4 oz. 09V + 3/4 oz. Clear + Processing Solution
1. Face frame with Formula A using foils in back-to-back weaves.
2. Balayage the front two quadrants with Formula B. Note: Gabrielle did not leave any hair in between sections, as her client requested it be solid in the front.
3. Balayage the back two quadrants (this time leaving a little hair in between sections) with Formula C.
4. Process under a Rollerball for 25 minutes, then rinse.
5. Tone using Formula D, and process for five minutes. “I feel this gloss gives the perfect neutral/champagne/iridescent tone to the hair,” says Gabrielle, “and it’s absolutely breathtaking.”
Total Process Time: 3 hours for consultation, color application and processing time and blow-dry/style.
Pricing: Color: $130; Olaplex: $25; Total: $155